CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

View Poll Results: Is it ok to house 2 corns together?
Only if they arent both males 11 5.88%
Yes! never had a problem 41 21.93%
No! I've had problems 86 45.99%
Depends on the "personality" of the snakes 49 26.20%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Is it ok to house two snakes together?

Old 07-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #21
tyflier
Happens alot with polls. If someone votes in the poll, but doesn't respond, the topic still gets bumped...but the posts are still 2 years old.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:18 AM   #22
rolandslf
Co-Habitation

I have 3 adult male corns who live together in a 50 gal. viv.
They have lived together for 3 years with no problems healthwise, appetitewise or anywise.
The only time I split them up is for the 2 weeks when they are paired with my females. After the deed is done I put them back together till next season.

Ciao

Old 07-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #23
JustineNYC
Snakes are cannibals. I dont even know why this gets discussed.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #24
Jimmy Johnson
well, since it has been bumped

why not re-post

I feel it is best to keep snakes separate.
I know a lot of people can and do keep multiple snakes together without problems. I just feel the possible drawbacks need to be expressed.
When a person gets the experience and knowledge of each individual snake in his care, and wants to try co-habitation, it is up to them. They just need to be careful and observant enough to see and understand the subtle signs of stress in their snakes.
There can be definite drawbacks in co-habitation.
If one snake becomes sick there is a very good likelihood the other/others will get sick as well.
It may also take a while (usually too long) to determine which one is the sick one.
If one regurgitates its food you won't know which one unless you happen to get lucky and see it.
If one has a problem stool you won't know which one. Once again one may have a problem and by the time you figure out which one the other/others could end up with the same problem.
Although this is only a slight possibility, it is still a possibility and has been know to happen... one snake could eat the other. Cannibalism can and does occur with corn snakes. The smell of a prey item could trigger one snake to eat the other. Or simple hunger accompanied by a ready food source could do the same. Although uncommon, it has happened and is a possibility.
Another possibility is unwanted pregnancy. A female may become gravid and you may not have the knowledge, desire or ability to incubate the eggs, care for the hatchlings and find homes for them. With hatchlings comes added responsibility.
A lot of people rationalize by saying, "I will just put two males or two females together". That can work but mistakes can be made, especially with hatchlings. You could easily end up with a male and female.
There is also a chance of a female breeding too young or too small and becoming egg-bound. Although uncommon, it is a possibility and can happen.
With multiple snakes in the same enclosure you could easily loose them all if there happens to be an avenue of escape. Instead of losing one you could loose two or more depending on how many you decide to place together.
With multiple snakes in an enclosure, one or all of them could be stressed by the presence of the others. Stress can cause a drop in appetite and other health problems as well.
People will put multiple snakes in an enclosure and ask why one isn't eating.
When they are told it is probably due to stress caused by the other snake, the response is almost always the same "they like each other, they are always under the same hide together". Well this probably just means "that" hide or area of the tank has the optimum conditions they are looking for.
Snakes do not LIKE each other or ENJOY each other’s company.
There is no capacity for snakes to "like" or "enjoy".
I have kept multiple snakes together, without problems, but have made a choice to keep them separate. There are NO good arguments as to why you SHOULD keep them together but there ARE several good arguments as to why you SHOULD NOT.
So, in my opinion, although people do it successfully I just don't think it is worth the risk.
If you decide to keep multiple snakes together, watch closely for any signs of appetite loss, shedding problems, regurgitation or “personality” changes. These could all be signs of stress.
You would also want to feed them in separate containers and give them an hour or so before putting them back together.
My 2 cents

Old 07-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #25
Flagg
The options aren't very well represented. The only "No" option has you admitting that you were ignorant enough to house 2 snakes together at one point. I vote "no", never thought about it, would never do it, why would you want to?

Old 07-25-2007, 11:47 AM   #26
zeeboismysnake
I agree with Flagg. For me it's more of a "No, I'm not ignorant enough to try it" then a "No, I've had problems" vote. Yes, I know my sig says I only have one corn, but I am getting two more very soon and am definetly not housing them together.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #27
LeeC
we have 1 female amel and 1 female snow that we house together, the only problem Ive had so far is that they were nervous when first put togther and now they seem to have grown attached to each other.

I personally think houseing seprate is a good idea for all the feeding/health problems, but on the other hand snakes are animals, and I believe all animals (even loners) get lonely.

Its a personall choice and you have to be ready to suffer the consiquences and/or seperate them at the first sign of a problem. I voted for if they have the right attitude.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:41 PM   #28
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeC
...now they seem to have grown attached to each other.
Snakes don't form emotional attachments.

Quote:
...but on the other hand snakes are animals, and I believe all animals (even loners) get lonely.
You may believe it, but it's not true. Snakes are solitary creatures. There are only two situations where a snake would seek other snakes. 1) Breeding (of course). 2)Wintering (to conserve heat and limit dehydration).

Old 07-29-2007, 02:29 AM   #29
LeeC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
Snakes don't form emotional attachments.

You may believe it, but it's not true. Snakes are solitary creatures. There are only two situations where a snake would seek other snakes. 1) Breeding (of course). 2)Wintering (to conserve heat and limit dehydration).

how can you know for sure? do your snakes talk to you? I think just because for the most part they're solitary creatures, doesnt mean that they dont get lonely. We as humans will never know. I like to think that they do get lonely, so I house my 2 together, and If they start not getting along ill seperate them.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:35 AM   #30
zeeboismysnake
You're right, we don't understand what our snakes are thinking. Which is probably why it's so easy to anthopomorphize them. Corn snakes don't form an emotional attatchment to each other because they don't experience emotions like we do, if at all. At the very most the snakes might get used to each other and be stressed if their environment is changed. Corn snakes are solitary creatures and their brains aren't wired to want or even like the presence of another snake (the exceptions, as Dean said, being during breeding and hibernation).

I'm just wondering, but what would you consider not getting along?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google