CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Do CS constrict prekilled mice?

Old 12-25-2007, 04:29 AM   #1
aztek
Do CS constrict prekilled mice?

Just wonderin since local shop sells Live & one day I might run out of frozen and can they interchange live & dead? I have a lil one so it just strikes (Im typing from a psp so excuse grammer)

Old 12-25-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Susan
Yes, many corn snakes will constrict pre-killed mice. Some, however will not...they will just start eating. But I also have seen some snakes just start to eat live prey, although this is usually with pinkies to fuzzies and not with adult mice. (But I've had adult corns start to eat live pinky and fuzzy rats without constricting them first. I guess the snakes can tell when a prey can potentially hurt/bite them and when they can't.)

Old 12-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Corny Noob
It seems like a lot of them seem to constrict dead prey more often once they get past fuzzies. Like suddenly they think the big critters are alive.
But don't think that just cause they don't constrict that anything is wrong.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Topazfyre
Of my two, Kel (who is older) eats like a crazed black rat, striking and constricting before I have time to put the food in. Freyja strikes but doesn't constrict. She's also younger though, so that should be taken into consideration. I'm taking care of a friend's hatchling as well, and she just takes it- nothing exciting. It really does depend on the snake, I think. Many of the older ones seem to be more active in their feeding as Jenn said, but that shouldn't be taken as a rule, I think.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
wax32
None of my corns constrict f/t at all, from pinks to adult mice. My king constricts f/t sometimes. My BP constricts f/t every time, exploding at the mouse dangling from the forceps.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Weebonilass
Of the six snakes I've owned, only Lady G constricted. She would wrap and throw herself madly about her feeding tank, rocking it on the counter Guess she was making up for the late feeding start. Kieran, my oldest, even takes it like a gentleman out of my hand.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
susang
I think I can say all of mine have costricted dead or f/t mice at oe time or another. Today I'm feeding my RO a pre-killed rat hopper (sorry don't know what you call a weaned rat) she went for it straight away. I think either way is fine, susang

Old 12-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
diamondlil
Mine mostly constrict if I do the 'zombie mouse dance'. Works best if the mouse is really hot, and I make the zombie twitch rather than move too much.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
aztek
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
Mine mostly constrict if I do the 'zombie mouse dance'. Works best if the mouse is really hot, and I make the zombie twitch rather than move too much.
Haha

And whataboutt he switching to live for one feeding?

The store I get frozen mice from is kind of far and I have one across the street.

One time I didn't feed my snake cus' of a blizzard and was tempted to go buy a live but I waited it out.

I will buy a bulk In Jan.(Along with a python ) when the reptile show comes though so I won't have that prob. anymore.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
Weebonilass
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
LOL Janine, Kieran just waits for it to stop dancing

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google