• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Root Beer Corns

Silvertongue is correct Shannon Brown of High Sierra sells them. Just in case you didn't know they are not pure corns but hybrids. IMHO

so, to take a tangent.. are there other crosses with common names that just call them corn snakes?

creamsicle = amel guttata X emoryi
rootbeer = gutta X emoryi
jungle = guttata X albino california kingsnake?

I read on someone's sight tonight that the green spotted snows (and "bubblegums" which are the same, right?) were a hybrid.

While I maintain a certain fascination with hybrids (I'm particularly curious to see if any how grey-banded kingsnake blood would mix with corn) I'm moreso on the side of the fence that think we ought to exploit the pure corn genes more (they obviously still have many secrets for us to discover) than having a willy-nilly hybrid-fest and losing track of the pure bloodlines.

What happens when these hybrbids escape and intermingle with local rat snake and cornsnake populations? It seems a little irresposible to me, I guess, because I don't think anyone have even bothered to really answer that question.

^Curtis

well the only real problem I can forsee is that anyline bread with a king of any type will eat other snakes. I think Milksnakes will also. So We could creat another race of cornsnakes that eat snake heheh KING CORN MUhahahaha MUuhahaHAI

Personally, I'm not worried about the guttata/emoryi crosses. Many people believe that corns and emoryis are actually the same species to begin with, calling emoryis Elapha guttata emoryi. (ie, emoryi is a subspecies.) Also, many people believe that Kisatchie corns are a natural population of corn and emoryi crosses. Since corns and emoryis will naturally breed with each other when they encounter each other in season, I feel pretty sure that there must be wild crosses where their territories meet or overlap, even if Kisatchies are not an example. Plus, their young are fertile.

Crosses with king snakes and milk snakes are another story altogether. Corns will not breed with these snakes without some form of trickery on the part of a human, and the offspring are normally infertile. These crosses are not in any way natural, and while I do not object to corn/emoryi crosses, I do not like the other hybrids. But that's just my opinion.

Back