• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

CO2 Mousicide

Hmm.. I read this whole thread and I still don't get it... why kill them first? Doesn't that just make your snakes lazy? Also, do they still strike their pray, or do they just eat it...? I am very curious...

Umm, because unless your snake will only eat live, mice should ALWAYS be dead before feeding them.
Mice can inflict horrific injuries to a snake, as they fight for their lives.
Plus parasites are often killed by freezing the prey first.
Plus thawed mice are easier to digest than live.

Pretty much, the only people who feed live are those whose snakes won't take thawed, or those snake owners who aren't really educated about the benefits of thawed.

Feeding thawed is more humane to the snake, AND its dinner.

That does make alot of sense. The snakes that I have are pretty vicious to their meal and they haven't been hurt yet (yet is the prime word. I have already been considering switching to frozen for that reason.). But I have never heard of the parasite thing. That worries me now. Argh.. it looks like I am going to have to invest in a small Co2 tank. I have done frozen before and I hate the "thawing" process but it is obviously a necessary evil...

The parasite thing is rare, but there (if ya know what I mean).

Thawing isnt a huge deal, just don't use a container that people use (and don't drink tequilla when you feed, either)!

Buying frozen food is also wayyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than buying live,too.
You may have to buy in bulk, but its way worth it.

Thanks a bunch! I am still curious though, do the snakes strike pre-killed pray, or is it their own preference whether to do it or not...

Some strike, some don't.
Depends on the snake's own quirks, I think.

I have some that take the mouse very slowly and other others that strike and coil ALL OVER the tub!

The parasite thing is rare, but there (if ya know what I mean).

Thawing isnt a huge deal, just don't use a container that people use (and don't drink tequilla when you feed, either)!

Buying frozen food is also wayyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than buying live,too.
You may have to buy in bulk, but its way worth it.

I thaw the mice I feed my snake in cups that I drink out of.... Mmmm.... mousey.

Probably. That stuff makes a big mess, and if unknowingly you got it on a mouse, I don't see it as being particularly good for snakes...

I assume you've used vinegar and baking soda to euthanize mice if you're commenting, then?

Well, see Wade...the trouble is if you drink Tequilla while feeding...you just might accidently try drinking the mice instead of the Tequilla!!!

:dancer: Hahahaaa... pinky liquor is consider a good medical remedy in many parts of Asia.. so may not be a bad thing after all.....lol

I am not sure where you heard that feeding frozen is easier to digest, but please post a link. I have "heard" as well that feeding frozen is simply not as nutritious as feeding live, or prekilled animals (and that has to do with the body breaking down proteins while frozen, it still happens - like boiling the hell out of veggies, you lost vitamins). I will post a link if you'd like, but I have to find one first.

I named my new mouse to the collection "Harvey Wallbanger" just because... I thought it was funny. Its more than a name, its going to be his exit.

I've tried the vinegar/baking soda gassing method, but have gone back to cervical dislocation for adult mice. Because I'm never killing more than 10 at a time on my mouse-farming operation, it works for me. You just let the mouse walk forwards on a cloth-covered surface (so its feet can grip something) whilst holding its tail, place a pencil across its neck firmly, then give a swift tug on the tail. Much less fuss than bashing its head on something. fuzzies are a bit too small for the dislocation so I flick their skulls hard a couple of times. Pinks just go in the freezer on fast-freeze.

I am not sure where you heard that feeding frozen is easier to digest, but please post a link. I have "heard" as well that feeding frozen is simply not as nutritious as feeding live, or prekilled animals (and that has to do with the body breaking down proteins while frozen, it still happens - like boiling the hell out of veggies, you lost vitamins). I will post a link if you'd like, but I have to find one first.

I named my new mouse to the collection "Harvey Wallbanger" just because... I thought it was funny. Its more than a name, its going to be his exit.

I have read that frozen is easier to digest because freezing breaks down the cell wall. I don't know if I read it online or not.
Personally I have a low opinion of someone who would name a living feeling animal "Wallbanger" because they intend to kill him cruelly.

I have a low opinion of someone who would name a living feeling animal "Wallbanger" because they intend to kill him cruelly.

Some would say that any "killing" would be considered cruel. Too bad you can't please everyone. I would have named him "Floorbanger" but theres nobody famous by that name to my knowledge. Cervical dislocation seems easy, I might just have to see if I can get some thrills from that :/ if not wallbanging is what has worked for me in the past.

Some would say that any "killing" would be considered cruel. Too bad you can't please everyone. I would have named him "Floorbanger" but theres nobody famous by that name to my knowledge. Cervical dislocation seems easy, I might just have to see if I can get some thrills from that :/ if not wallbanging is what has worked for me in the past.

There is a difference between humane euthanasia and animal cruelty.
You seem to prefer animal cruelty.
Not only do I have no use for people like you, but I recognize people like you as a danger to this hobby.
There are many factions trying to ban reptiles. There are uneducated masses that believe that all reptiles are dangerous to people and the politicians who cater to them.

Then there is the PETA crowd. People like you provide them with ammo to try to destroy this hobby. Gee, thanks.

Oh, and if you find yourself getting a "thrill" by killing animals, please seek professional help.

Sorry man. If you haven't read through the thread I was pretty much done with it after my second post... Take it with a grain of salt. As I said before, the method I am using is the dry ice method (though you were probably confused with the wallbanger line of mouse I am raising). I wanted to keep that quite to keep the "musk" from flying around. Its like a wild band of kingsnakes musking on anyone with a different idea than norm. :flames:

Honestly I don't mind if I serve you a purpose, I made the OP a legitimate post and it got musked all over so I gave up.

Wall banging is efficient, just as much as CO2, or cervical dislocation. None of them are "banned" methods of euthanasia. And nobody is going to solve PETA, they are off in their own worlds. I can only offer my sincere apologies that they exist, however I have nothing to do with them, or any other tree huggin / animal rights activist groups. Good luck with the laying it into the n00bs fellas.

Ok, I have a few minutes and I will jump back into the fray for that amount of time.

I do breed mice and thus have killed many of them. I have cut back a great deal right now but at one time I was selling approximately 1000 mice a week to local pet stores and consuming approx. 300 mice per week myself. I personally have used the dry ice method, the paint ball method, and now use a 20# bottle of co2 from a local welding supply house. Based on that experience, this is my opinion. If you are going to be killing 20 or 30 mice a week, cervical dislocation is probably the easiest and least expensive way to go. Whacking their heads on a table edge works well but is not approved by PETA.

If you are going to be killing more mice than that or don’t like to break necks, then co2 is by far the best way to go. Dry Ice is readily available to me at the local grocery store. For a buck I can pick up a chunk on my way home from work or have my wife do so when she goes shopping (every d*** day of the week). That is easy and cheap.

If you want the convenience of having it at home and ready at any moment, then you need to get a canister to keep the gas in at home. A 20oz paint ball canister costs around 20.00 and you can get the valve and necessary fittings for another 10 or 15. The gas itself is inexpensive to the point of being a non-item.

You can go to much bigger gas bottles from welding supply houses but then you are talking a couple hundred bucks for the tank and regulator.

Which is best is entirely up to you and your personal circumstances and preferences.

Whichever method you chose, the co2 procedure is the same. Put the mice in the container first. Introduce the co2 slowly. It will put the mice to sleep. If they appear to be suffocating, it is probably because you added too much gas to fast. Let them go to sleep, then add enough gas to deprive them of oxygen until they are dead.

Don’t loose site of the fact that the whole point is to kill these animals. There is no nice way to kill things. That is a fact of nature. The methods I have outlined here are probably as close to nice as you can get. If that upsets you, you probably should sell your snake and get a rabbit.

This thread should have ended here... Its the last reasonable well informed post LOL! And I thank you for that Wade. As your post is very true, and well versed.

Sorry man. If you haven't read through the thread I was pretty much done with it after my second post... Take it with a grain of salt. As I said before, the method I am using is the dry ice method (though you were probably confused with the wallbanger line of mouse I am raising). I wanted to keep that quite to keep the "musk" from flying around. Its like a wild band of kingsnakes musking on anyone with a different idea than norm. :flames:

Honestly I don't mind if I serve you a purpose, I made the OP a legitimate post and it got musked all over so I gave up.

Wall banging is efficient, just as much as CO2, or cervical dislocation. None of them are "banned" methods of euthanasia. And nobody is going to solve PETA, they are off in their own worlds. I can only offer my sincere apologies that they exist, however I have nothing to do with them, or any other tree huggin / animal rights activist groups. Good luck with the laying it into the n00bs fellas.

It really doesn't matter if wall banging is efficient or not, it is violent and causes pain to the animal. It is not a proper euthanization method outlined by the American Veternary Association. I don't know what you mean by "nobody is going to solve PETA", that makes no sense AT ALL. PETA is a terrorist organization, and would like nothing better than to see reptiles banned in all 50 states. Your comments about hurling small animals into walls does nothing but give PETA ammo to use against this hobby, and give reptile owners everywhere a black eye.
Look at Detroit. You can't own a box turtle, or ANY reptile within the city. Why is that?
I have to wonder if someone like you preformed a senseless act of cruelty and set off the animal rights nuts...and a lawmaker listened.

Back