CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

UTH and Wire Mesh

Old 08-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
NH93
Question UTH and Wire Mesh

Hi again,

I was just thinking... I have read a lot about UTHs, and how to properly attach them under glass bottoms and whatnot, but what about wire mesh bottoms?
I want to get my next vive with a wire mesh top and bottom for better air circulation, and have seen these around lately. Would it still be safe to use a UTH under the bottom of one of these, or would that be too close to a snake (or be some sort of fire hazard with aspen or something)?
Any tips, or has anyone tried this??

Thank you very much in advance, as always!

Old 08-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Topazfyre
Personally, I wouldn't use a wire mesh bottom as it would just make for a huge mess with the aspen shavings and droppings they sometimes like to leave at the bottom of the viv. Also, they don't really need the extra circulation, so I can't see that much would be gained my using it. That aside, I can't see any reason why a UTH would be a problem with the mesh. At the temperatures you should be keeping it at (no more than 87 degrees F), it won't be a fire hazard. As for adhering it to the bottom, don't use anything sticky like tape or the glue found on ZooMed UTHs or else the snake could damage it's scales on it. Actually, I wouldn't even bother adhering it to the bottom. You'll have to be cleaning the mesh too often for that to make sense. Instead I would just place the viv on top of the UTH, wedging it between the viv and the support structure (floor or shelf). Good luck with the new viv.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
subliminal
Just curious... UTH aside, wouldn't a mesh bottom be really crummy to clean up all the time?

Old 08-31-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
diamondlil
I wouldn't have thougt a mesh bottom would work out well at all for corns. Any substrate is going to fall through, so is all the fecal matter and urates (adult snakes do big runny poops) so you'd have to scrub the mesh with something like a wire brush regularly. I think those cages are meant for lizards like chameleons.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google