• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Breeding/Egg Production & Care FAQ

Joejr14

Grand Bubble Burster
Since I've got some experience under my belt I was going to try and tackle this FAQ sometime this week.

Any input from you guys as far as what should be covered?

Not sure exactly what you're already planning on putting in, but these things might be helpful to cover:

pros and cons of brumation for breeding
Size, age and condition of female before breeding (with maybe a link to a thread on cohabiting)
health risks to the animal
how to tell if your female is gravid
how to make an egg laying container
incubation procedure
double clutching, risks and how to keep a double clutching female in good health
post-natal care of hatchlings

When and how to introduce the pair.
Courtship behavior and actual mating/things to look for (yellow "spooge", blood, etc.)
Time frame from mating to egg laying to hatching to second clutch, etc.
When, if and how to help a hatchling out of the egg.
When, how and how long to brumate and steps/procedures to change the normal cycle (ie - brumating in August).

I think that should keep you busy for awhile!

What to do in case you get an eggbound or prolapsed female. I know the answer is obvious, but you know how some people can be........ :rolleyes:

Also, how many hatchlings to expect, with some nod towards the cost and time requirements.

(I see this as important because I think many people say "Oh cool! Let's breed our snakes!" without thinking about the responsibilities involved)

Good idea for sure!!

I'll just add about incubation maybe a section on different incubation mediums: perilite, vermiculite, moss, etc.

And I think a significant section should be devoted to the required care (time, cost, etc) on dealing with hatclings and finding them homes. I 100% agree that people sometimes breed without thinking about any of the ramifications.

Maybe check and see if it's ok with Kathy to post a link to her popping and probing videos for sexing. As a way to sex adults before making breeding plans, and a way to sex the hatchlings. Also, maybe a recommendation that they should see it done in person and be taught how to do it by an experienced breeder/vet/herper and use the videos as a refresher when hatching season comes around.

Something about how breeding Corns is not generally a profit-making exercise? Nobody gets rich from it, although with enough snakes (a warehouse-full) and man-hours (20 hours a day!) you might - one day - make a living.

Where's that post of Rich Z's, that describes the trials and tribulations of being a professional breeder? A link to that might be very educational for anyone seeking to make a quick buck.

Something along the lines of a "breeding timeline" would be AWESOME. This is my first time breeding corns (currently on day 13 after her pre-lay shed) and it would have been really really nice to have a timeline of like....what to look for when, etc.

Something like :

Approximately 45 days after breeding, the female will enter a shed cycle.
Approximately 10-15 days after her pre-lay shed, the female will lay eggs.

etc etc....

There were a few times during the process so far where I would think......wait....should she be doing that now? Shoudn't she be shedding now? etc.

Just a thought, here. I have had Pekingese on and off since I was four, been breeding and showing them since the '70's, but didn't get "serious" until 2000. I have a small hobby kennel, most dogs at a time about 14 (including puppies), one or two litters a year. I sell pets anywhere from $350 for an older, spayed bitch up to $1,500 for a show-quality young dog. People assume I'm raking in money--HAH! The vet bills are the killer, and I've never broken even. Most Pekes have to have c-sections, and the expense of vet and upkeep is high, not to mention show expense. Plus they are not a "popular" breed and it is difficult to sell them--high quality pets competing with "back-yard breeder" Pekes is really hard. Maybe it's the breed, as I have a friend who breeds and shows Yorkies and a pet is $1,500--I should change breeds, right? But it's like Rich said, how he was bored with BP's, I don't want another breed.

I have a few friends who have in excess of 30 dogs--that is not unreasonable. So I can really relate to how difficult it must be to do the same with a large colony of snakes.

I am downsizing my dogs as I've gotten burned out showing and breeding and caring for a lot of dogs, to just a few pets. I really love my snakes and find them much easier to care for (as long as things don't grow too fast). If I could break even eventually selling snakes, I would be very happy, but I don't even factor that in. I just want to enjoy my new hobby--which I am!

I really appreciate all the great thoughts and comments on this forum, and the willingness of people to help us noobs, it means a lot to me--thanks!

No rush, but just out of curiosity does anyone know when this faq will be done? I want to start researching and become knowledgable on the subject as I plan to start breeding 3-4 years down the road.

Can anyone recommend any good books by reputable breeders, or any good articles to get you started on the basics? I'm sure you guys get this question a lot. I was just curious as to where I should begin my search.

Cough cough... foot in mouth, I just found it. i figured since this thread is still up it wouldn't be done. But I see it in the section on breeding... sorry.

Never mind that is the link to this thread... so yea back to my first post in here. Sorry for the multiple posts guys. If a mod wants to kill the last two posts go for it.

I want to start researching and become knowledgable on the subject as I plan to start breeding 3-4 years down the road. Can anyone recommend any good books by reputable breeders, or any good articles to get you started on the basics? I'm sure you guys get this question a lot. I was just curious as to where I should begin my search.

I am in the same boat. I want to do alot of research before I breed my baby's next year.(they arn't really babies, they will be the right size next year, i just refer to them as my babies) And I'm looking for the same things.

I am in the same boat as the other two. I think it will be in the next 3 years that my babies are big/old enough, but I am really trying to start my research now. all of that info you guys suggested was exactly the kinds of things i have been wondering. it would be AMAZING if a thread like that were to be posted!

zulu

Back