• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Temp question

Desert Corn

I just recently got my first corn snake and my apartment gets pretty chilly, the cool side of the tank is around 68 degrees sometimes lower. what can I do at home to raise the temp? Do I need to buy a heating element?

I have a similar situation. It gets really cold where I live, especially in the winter. Summers are not a problem.

I actually use 2 heat pads. I call one the warm side and keep it around 85, The other one is on the cool side and I set it for 72. Many days it doesn't even come into play, but if the temp on that end of the cage gets below 72 then it does.

I think I would follow Karl's advice, however, you would need another exo terra and heat pad. I have used ceramic heat bulbs (not lights) in the past to provide more ambient heat for lizards. I used a dimmer controller to adjust the heat output. The bulb was screwed into a ceramic shielded hood.

I have the same situation. I have the heating pad (which is plugged into a thermostat) on one side and keep that at around 83-ish and then on the cool side I have a black ceramic light (sitting on top of screen lid) also on thermostat, that kicks on anytime the cool side dips below 72ish.
** I'm fairly new to keeping snakes and happened to live in a state that gets pretty cold… I'm not sure if this is the ideal setup so if anyone sees a problem with this setup I would love to hear your input!

I use both a heat pad and a lamp on the same side when it's cold. And a branch under the heat lamp as well as 3 hides all over the tank. I have a temp gun and there are spots that are 86 and spots that are in the low 60s.- even 50s sometimes. Snake gets to choose which spot he likes. Works ok for me.

I do the same as Bob. In the winter, they get both. In the summer, just a heat pad. My cool side may get to about 70, but they don't mind. If they don't like it, they'll go to the warm side.

Back