CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Grazed tail

Old 03-16-2019, 07:43 PM   #1
caseymcevoy14
Grazed tail

My corn snake has recently been getting tiny bits of she'd stuck on her tail, I'm thinking of getting a heat lamp to increase the tank temp as it's around 25C. But I noticed she's grazed the end of the tail and am wondering what I should do about it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Old 03-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
Twolunger
A heat lamp will probably make the incomplete shedding worse, as it will decrease the humidity. A belly heat pad on one side is all that's required. 25C on the cool side is okay.
A water bowl large enough for her to soak in is required.

I'm not sure how your corn damaged her tail like that, but here in the states we can purchase triple antibiotic cream to smear on the tail.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
A heat lamp will probably make the incomplete shedding worse, as it will decrease the humidity. A belly heat pad on one side is all that's required. 25C on the cool side is okay.

I'm not sure how your corn damaged her tail like that, but here in the states we can purchase triple antibiotic cream to smear on the tail.
I agree with this.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #4
caseymcevoy14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post

She has a large bowl to soak in but never does I've been trying to make it more humid when she sheds by spraying her hides with a small bit of water.
As for the tail I'll try find something to keep it clean.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Old 03-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #5
Patmart
I would get a snake cave ours gave a cave never have a problem with shedding it’s got damp moss
In it
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #6
Twolunger
It's funny that she doesn't soak in her water bowl. Mine usually soak before and after a shed. The humidity in my snake room is only 40-44 percent, so I do mist the substrate if I notice one not soaking itself. Check with your local pharmacy for over-the-counter antibiotic cream.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:42 AM   #7
sophieshock
Hi! I seem to be having a similar problem with my 1 year old Peaches. I only noticed this yesterday as she has been MIA due to going into shed, so she hasn’t been out much, but i needed to clean her out today. I managed to get a picture and it looks like dead skin has caught around the end of her tail? I’ve soaked her tail in some warm water to see if that helps. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #8
Twolunger
Better get that shed remnant off quickly. Soak her again and then use a wet paper towel or rag to gently roll the shed off towards the end of the tail. It should come off like when you roll a sock off your foot. If it doesn't come off use your finger nail to gently scrape it off towards the end of the tail. It's imperative that you get it off or there will be no blood flow to the end of the tail.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google