CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Question about handling

Old 10-19-2019, 01:51 AM   #1
Averysmom
Question about handling

Hi I’ve been reading a lot of conflicting opinions on how often a corn should be handled. Some sites say to only handle once a week to not stress the snake since they don’t like handling but tolerate it. Other sites say handle them everyday so they are used to it.

I got my snake a month ago and I let him get used to me by just moving things around in his cage the first two weeks and just sitting with him. And since then I’ve handled him once a week for a few minutes each time just to get him used to me. My brother is dying to hold him but I told him I want to take the process slow and that I want him comfortable with me before he gets stressed with new people handling him. My brother thinks I’m being too cautious.

So my questions are, am I being too cautious and should I let my brother handle him? Also, how often do is an appropriate amount of handling in a week?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-19-2019, 01:53 AM   #2
Averysmom
I should also add that he’s not a young striky snake. He’s 4 and pretty docile. He hissed a little the first time I handled him but other than that he’s chill.

Old 10-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
My corn snake is a pet and member of the family. He doesn't get too much handling right after eating, but otherwise, he interacts with us daily or almost daily. I have taken him to work with me before. He goes shopping with me sometimes. I do "Informative Training" sessions with children and other folks that have not handled snakes before, and so he gets handled by lots of people, not just family members.

People that tell you it stresses them out or they don't like it obviously don't know what they are talking about and for the most part are just repeating something they read or somebody told them, just as you did in your above post.

If you're in the "Business of breeding and selling snakes" and you have hundreds of them and you're only concern is making money, then I could see your snakes being stressed out all the time.

On the other hand, if your snake is a pet and you handle it often and treat it accordingly, then I believe they actually enjoy coming out of their cages and spending time with people.

You should be able to tell if an animal, ("Any Animal"), a horse, bird, dog, cat or even a snake, enjoys something or not.

Usually when I open the snake's cage, he will crawl out into my hands. I rarely have to go digging around for him. Now if he didn't like it, would he do that?

Old 10-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
Averysmom
Thank you for the response! You made some great points. Especially the part where people are just repeating what they’ve read or heard without having the actual experience.

I love to hear that your snake is a part of your family and that you take him places with you. That sounds like a well loved snake.

I’m happy to have read your post because I sit with my snake all the time and he’s so friendly and I just want to hold him. So this morning I took him out and he explored my husband and me. And ya I’ll start letting others hold him too then.

Thanks!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google