• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Killing mice

dart guy,
call me slightly confused--my confusion lies with your comment about Kens quote about the spoon and hammering your mouses feet. I just want to know if you prefer to be shot or have your feet smashed with a hammer? Just exactly which comment needs the LOL?

Just can't resist!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I must say that this thread, while aggrevating for some, provided me with some interesting insight into fellow members...

I was a bit taken back by some comments... ie people who state an opinion or belief as if it were FACT... but that is par for the course for any debate where strong feelings are involved.

I, myself, have an innate love for just about every critter that walks, crawls, swims, flys, oozes, slithers, creeps... you get the idea. I don't even kill that proverbial Black Widow spider that is crawling across the floor of the kitchen. I might put it in a jar for a couple days, feed it a cricket or a fly, then put it outside. When I buy feeder mice, the guys I get them from know that I have to have "generic mice" 'cause if it's "cute", its probably going to soon be named Lucky and go to live in the tank with Lucky #1, #2 and #3... But, the mice that I buy were bred to feed reptiles. I figure I am helping them fulfill their destiny (ha!) by feeding them to my snakes. I feel a personal responsibility not to be cruel to them. I don't torture them. But, I have NO QUALMS whatsoever with whacking them good and hard against the desk before I feed them to my snake. It's quick and I would hope less painful than a lingering death being slowly suffocated by one of my snakes. I will admit that in my heart of hearts (a big admission here and revealing of my nature), I say a little "thank you" to each mouse before I whack it, but I whack it none the less.

So, I could go on, but I won't. Just wanted to cast my vote as a "whacker" or bonker or whatever...

Cheers!

uh-heh-heh-uhhheheeee..........You said "whacker". Heh! Heh!

Just kiddin'.

(pleasegoddontletmecomebackasamousepleasegoddontletmecomebackasamousepleasegoddontletmecomebackasamousepleasegoddontletmecomebackasamousepleasegoddontletmecomebackasamousepleasegoddontletmecomebackasamousepleasegoddontletmecomebackasamousepleasegoddontletmecomebackasamousepleasegoddontletmecomebackasamousepleasegoddontletmecomebackasamousepleasegoddontletmecomebackasamousepleasegoddontletmecomebackasamouseandifidomakemespottedandsocute...)

Of course I could say that that was my opinion and at least that fact was fact. And that's my opinion.

Give Lucky a wink for me!

Mare I'm not making fun of you, its just that I'm getting a little wired here...The little "thank you" to each mouse part, I understand.

Last edited:
WOW...I just stumbled upon this thread. I think I'm gonna have nightmares about all those mice. "8 million ways to die" (mouse edition). I have a Boa and she kills her own mice. I am FINALLY getting a corn soon, but I did not realize all the "rules" behind killing mice. But at least now I'll know how to kill one if I ever feel the need to:p

Well I figured this thread was good for something. Incidently, I bought a bunch of mice tonight. 1 adult mouse, 4 hoppers, AND.......one male and two females for breeding. So hopefully Ill have a bunch of mice to help out with the food bill.

All my snakes killed and ate their mouse at about the same time. Now they are crawling around looking at me wondering what the hell I'm doing and wondering why I'm not feeding them my breeders. SO, I can tell you these snakes were COMPLETELY HAPPY to kill and eat they're plump little dinner packages themselves.

If you break it you buy it, then you kill it you eat it.

so you can give them live food? Everyone seems to think otherwise, but I think if the snakes are supervised, it would be fine. I always hang around when my boa is eating.:eek:

I'm the same way. I'd feel slightly guilty and I just wouldn't like that....sounds weird doesn't it? Why not let the snake do what it does as if it was outside of captivity? To me there is no argument, but this is just my opinion (standard dislaimer).

not this thread again...hehe
well the reason I've decided that I don't want to feed live is because something happened once to scare me for good.
I was feeding the one of the class corns a live adult mouse and she struck and constricted but the mouse's head was free and it chomped down and ripped open her skin. It happened so fast that I couldn't do anything to prevent it so I just stood it shocked horror and then I stupidly put my finger on the mouse's mouth to block it from biting the snake again. So then it bit me but not hard enough to draw blood or anything (I think being squeezed to death reduces one's biting strength..;)). Gave me quite a scare.
So anyway, that snake had to be taken to the vet, but luckily she's all right. I hate to think what would have happened if that mouse bit her on the head or eye.
So basically I feed f/t to my own snakes or I ask the pet store guys to kill the mouse for me. I feel bad killing the mouse myself.

Well NOW you done it Iris...Just when I thought I made up my mind about something YOU come in and change it!! ;)

Just kiddin', Iris you have an excellent point. Yesterday I bought a bunch of mice and the ones I am keeping for breeding are MEAN!! They are like little bastards or something.

haha
Well normally I would have been really forceful in my reply but I've found that a little moderation keeps a lot of fights from occurring so I try to be nicer and just talk about my own opinions. :)
The snake ended up with a scar, but I ended up with a new opinion!
I always thought mice were cute little things, but that one sure frightened me. I guess it was pretty scared, you know, being slowly and painfully killed and all. heheh..:rolleyes:

I personally like beating the mice around until they die. It is a good way to get my anger out. then i don't get mad a my snakes when they bite me, and besides no one is right or wrong in this matter. My mom hates snakes and my brother hates mice. so in that note have a nice day.

Killing the mice

I find it cruel to feed live food to the snakes. In Finland (where I'm originally from) it is considered as animal cruelty.
Also killing the mice/rats/guinea pigs/rabbits/lizards/chicks..etc what ever you feed your snake, is more likely a pain in the a## for a person who cares about the both sides.
I thought the cottonball -thingy was the best, IF it does not cause any damage to the snake. If it does, then it's out of question. I don't kill the rats myself (cannot, don't have the heart) I buy them frozen from a petshop. The company that I order them from is specialized in breeding food for reptiles and I trust they kill the rats quickly enough. I never buy a rat that seems to have suffered at the time of death.

But the reason I write here is that think also what you feed the animal before you kill it. Most pet stores have no idea of what they really should feed the mice and rats with and they don't provide much of a nutrition to your snake either. Your snake is what you feed it. So pay attention to what you food animals eat! You will see the difference in your snake!

And to the note: "why not to let the snake to do what it does naturally.." -Because a terrarium is not where the snake lives in the nature. In the nature both parts have the chance of drawing back and surviving, in the terrarium the space is limited so they are forced to fight to the death. If the terrarium happens to be larger size it only gives the mouse time to run away and hide which is only stressfull to it. Imagine yourself in there..
I could carry on forever, but my hands are freezing (public places are unheated..hrmph..)and giving me the hardest time to type..

Love your snakes and even you don't love the food, try to be humane with them.. =)

Last edited:

i think its important to not make the animal suffer , the easiest way of putting them out is to take them in a plastic bag and *smack* them on a hard surface, they dont even notice what will happend and there is another easy way iof u got the guts, take a grab with yoour thumb over the neck ande the finger next tothe thumb under the throat (dont know what that finger is called in english) nad grab the tail with the other hand and make a quick pull in each direction , that will snap the neck ver quickly...takes practice though.....and if you don think thats a good way then take a baseball bat and smack them away :grin01: hehe

Back