CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Sexing & Tail Length (Photos)

Old 11-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #11
princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBianco

(What am I going to do with a MALE? LOL)

Chris
Send him to MEEEEE!

Old 11-17-2005, 06:00 PM   #12
CJBianco
Okay. I've read a few threads and online care sheets on the subject. It looks like the female's tail is supposed to begin tapering at the vent, and the male's tail is supposed to remain thicker before tapering to allow for ample hemipene space.

This animal's tail clearly does not begin tapering until three or four scales after the vent. (This leads me to think: male.)

(Although, I also purchased a proven breeder adult MALE Amel Striped, and his tail is thin and seems to begin tapering at the vent. LOL)

Arrrggghhhhhhh!

Chris =)

Old 11-17-2005, 06:12 PM   #13
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBianco
Okay. I've read a few threads and online care sheets on the subject. It looks like the female's tail is supposed to begin tapering at the vent, and the male's tail is supposed to remain thicker before tapering to allow for ample hemipene space.

This animal's tail clearly does not begin tapering until three or four scales after the vent. (This leads me to think: male.)

(Although, I also purchased a proven breeder adult MALE Amel Striped, and his tail is thin and seems to begin tapering at the vent. LOL)

Arrrggghhhhhhh!

Chris =)
Post more pics. Try to capture from at least six inches forward of the vent to the tail tip. Of course, this is no exact science.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:14 PM   #14
carol
You can't tell for sure just by tail shape, is there anyone near you that can probe? I've seen some females with tails similar to yours. Its not beefy enough to be a definate male so I wouldn't worry yet.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:26 PM   #15
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
You can't tell for sure just by tail shape, is there anyone near you that can probe? I've seen some females with tails similar to yours. Its not beefy enough to be a definate male so I wouldn't worry yet.
I agree with Carol about the tweener bit. That tail is nowhere near as thick as most of my male's tails.

Here's a comparison shot for ya. This is a male.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:29 PM   #16
carol
LOL, nice chatroom background.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:32 PM   #17
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
LOL, nice chatroom background.
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to comment.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:58 PM   #18
CJBianco
Now I think it looks like a female.

(I have no clue about what I'm doing here. LOL)

Old 11-17-2005, 07:00 PM   #19
Joejr14
How old is the snake? How big?

Old 11-17-2005, 07:08 PM   #20
Hurley
My males don't begin to taper for a good 10+ scales. By 15 scales out, a female is usually half the width she was at the vent, while a male is hardly less wide. The photos look female to me, but I'm the first to admit that tail sexing by photo is NOT my preferred method.

I'd probe her.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google