CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Calling All Lurkers

Old 12-26-2018, 10:09 PM   #51
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php

The sections that get the most traffic are the classifieds and the board of inquiry (boi), but there are a bunch of discussion forums there. There is even a section for international boi for those overseas to investigate/review sellers and breeders

It's not a usable forum for snake lovers though .. if you click on the one appropriate section - the general reptile chat section there has been ONE post in the last three weeks ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 12-26-2018, 10:13 PM   #52
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
It's not a usable forum for snake lovers though .. if you click on the one appropriate section - the general reptile chat section there has been ONE post in the last three weeks ..

Anyways I noticed you were one of about 6 people who commented POSITIVELY on THIS forum on the thread I started in Ball-Pythons. Net .

I've learnt my lesson now and won't be bothering trying to promote one forum to other forums

Old 12-27-2018, 12:25 AM   #53
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
I have no idea why you've got so defensive ... I was responding to the other guys claim that THIS forum was dragging and I was kinda defending you by suggesting that most forums are struggling these days - as that's my take on them and it's something most forums are concerned about .

I'm also not belittling anyone ... I had a look around and the general snake seemed to be out of date ..

As to the stats you've just quoted as I've said nearly all the posts are buying / selling related as you'd expect from a forum called FaunaClassifieds .... You may as well quote PreLoved while you're at it ..

Whilst getting unfairly stroppy with me you sadly missed the fact that I started a new thread on Ball-Pythons.net tonight- actually praising and promoting YOUR site .

Some thanks I get .

Oh, I see. So the criteria you are choosing to determine whether a site is "active and thriving" is the type of CONTENT of the posts made there. Is that it? Classified posts do not count. OK, I get it. Some other people might use raw figures like views and visitors as well as actual member numbers visiting a site at any given time, or number of advertisers and paying supporters to determine "active" and "thriving", but apparently you use other selective criteria of your own choosing. Fair enough. I just disagree with your inferred assessment of FaunaClassifieds as being "inactive" and "non-thriving", when a broader range of factors are considered. We really don't need to agree, I just wanted my point of view to be expressed.

And no, I did not miss any facts. At least I believe not. If you will recall, I suggested that you (really anyone) NOT post any such promotional posts about this site on another site. That sort of thing can sometimes cause bad blood, and I would prefer that not to happen with any other site out there. And you are upset because I don't thank you for not heeding my own recommendation? Well, I am truly sorry about that. It wasn't a slight, I just did not believe it would be appropriate, under the circumstances. You likely do not realize that I have had other website owners accuse me of actively sending people to their sites to try to promote my own sites on theirs. Which I just do not do, but am apparently not convincing with my denials. If I had thanked you for the post you made, tell me, how do you think that would have appeared?

Anyway, that all being said, I really don't think the problem is people FINDING this site at all. I think the problem is that there doesn't seem to be a real good reason for them to STAY here. Over 28,000 people have already found this site. Doesn't seem to be helping much now, does it? Nearly all that many have obviously LEFT this site, too.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:01 AM   #54
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Oh, I see. So the criteria you are choosing to determine whether a site is "active and thriving" is the type of CONTENT of the posts made there. Is that it? Classified posts do not count. OK, I get it. Some other people might use raw figures like views and visitors as well as actual member numbers visiting a site at any given time, or number of advertisers and paying supporters to determine "active" and "thriving", but apparently you use other selective criteria of your own choosing. Fair enough. I just disagree with your inferred assessment of FaunaClassifieds as being "inactive" and "non-thriving", when a broader range of factors are considered. We really don't need to agree, I just wanted my point of view to be expressed.

And no, I did not miss any facts. At least I believe not. If you will recall, I suggested that you (really anyone) NOT post any such promotional posts about this site on another site. That sort of thing can sometimes cause bad blood, and I would prefer that not to happen with any other site out there. And you are upset because I don't thank you for not heeding my own recommendation? Well, I am truly sorry about that. It wasn't a slight, I just did not believe it would be appropriate, under the circumstances. You likely do not realize that I have had other website owners accuse me of actively sending people to their sites to try to promote my own sites on theirs. Which I just do not do, but am apparently not convincing with my denials. If I had thanked you for the post you made, tell me, how do you think that would have appeared?

Anyway, that all being said, I really don't think the problem is people FINDING this site at all. I think the problem is that there doesn't seem to be a real good reason for them to STAY here. Over 28,000 people have already found this site. Doesn't seem to be helping much now, does it? Nearly all that many have obviously LEFT this site, too.

I really don't know how this all started or where it's going

I simply enjoy perusing / frequenting forums and it appears that the vast majority are struggling traffic wise . The other guy suggested it was very quiet in here and I simply offered an explanation mentioning that soooo many other forums are struggling and even closing down ... there are so many other outlets and distractions ( plus Facebook ) .

When Fauna Classifieds was held up as a thriving forum I checked it out and the 'forum' parts are predictably quiet ( even stagnant) and the 'active' part is the 'classifieds' section which cannot be considered as true forum activity imho .

Old 12-27-2018, 10:09 AM   #55
Twolunger
It doesn't concern me that there are other forums, or their state of activity. What does concern me is the fact that we have a current forum right here, specific to corn snakes, and few are really using it. If all the current members just take a few minutes to tell us about their corns we would be reading for hours. I started this thread to let members know that activity will keep it going, and lack of activity will cause its discontinuance. Nothing has changed, use it or lose it.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #56
Theinfamousj
Why? Why does it have to be something that has to grow ubsustainably?

It is a resource, a reference. Most of my questions are answered by a search so I dont need to create a new thread. And that is okay.

I will volunteer to take over domain and hosting if it is cost prohibative to maintain reference material. Otherwise, let it be a relied on resource.

I am beyond thrilled that this isn't Reddit where the same question is asjed ad naseum. I am thrilled to be among folks who know how to search.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Old 12-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #57
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theinfamousj View Post
Why? Why does it have to be something that has to grow ubsustainably?

It is a resource, a reference. Most of my questions are answered by a search so I dont need to create a new thread. And that is okay.

I will volunteer to take over domain and hosting if it is cost prohibative to maintain reference material. Otherwise, let it be a relied on resource.

I am beyond thrilled that this isn't Reddit where the same question is asjed ad naseum. I am thrilled to be among folks who know how to search.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Well, I can only speak for myself, but what I expect from a forum is interaction between members. While a forum can be a good resource tool, so can books. The search function is great but only when there has been data, in this case posts, entered. How does it get entered? By members sharing their knowledge and experience, or seeking answers from those who can help. It's not my intention to force anyone to participate, but I would like to let members know some of us are interested in their hobby, be it one snake or a hundred. We certainly welcome new members, but I'd like to hear more from those we already have. If not, I can always go play with my snakes.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:02 AM   #58
Corning
How many snakes do you have Twolunger? Yes this time of year gets busy with family get together and presents and traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #59
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corning View Post
How many snakes do you have Twolunger? Yes this time of year gets busy with family get together and presents and traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm up to 28 corns again. I have more than enough lavenders to work with that morph. I also have strawberries, sunkissed, and coral ghosts. I almost forgot, I am also trying to produce some high white amels like the candy canes. I have doubles or triples in some of the morphs, just so I can choose the ones I want to breed as adults.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #60
Bazooka Joe
Hello, just to jump in here, I'm a looooong time lurker. I am back to the forums after many years (life intervened) and I definitely don't want this site to go away, so I'm making my lurker self be social, lol. I just got a new baby snake to add to my long-term butter corn (also have WS black rat snake and California king snake). Since I've been away from corns, there is this new thing called an amel Tessera! I fell in love with this baby snake and I've had her for about a week and a half now.
You guys were talking about aspen a page ago, I'm trying care fresh paper bedding now because the aspen shavings were a mess. Any experience or thoughts on that? Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google