CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Sad Accident. Advice?

Old 01-08-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
Roy Munson
Sad Accident. Advice?

I don't usually post question threads, but I'm shaken up over an accident that occurred last night. I've been sick to my stomach since, and I was up every half hour last night with a flashlight, peeking into a tub.

I've posted on the subject of the dangers of multi-tasking and snake care, but mostly in terms of enclosure security. I had family over last night, and they wanted to handle the snakes. I also had feeding duties to perform, so I was juggling a bunch of things at once. When I went to put my puny '05 male blizzard in the rack after feeding, I didn't notice that he had slithered up between the tub and the lid. Usually I visually verify the position of the snake before I snap the lid. This time I didn't. This wasn't much of a problem until I went to rack the tub. The security benefit of using lids with the tubs in the rack is that the pressure exerted between the shelves onto the tub is considerable. As soon as I shoved the tub in about halfway, the snake started thrashing around violently, so I knew something was wrong. I pulled the tub out, and flipped off the lid, and he dropped to the bottom of the tub, squirming wildly. His head went into the waterbowl, and he was still for a few moments. I grabbed him from the waterbowl and placed him on the aspen. It looked as if one side of his neck was compressed/pinched for an inch or two behind his head. He was still breathing, heavily in fact, and then after another 30 seconds he went into his hide, holding his head at an angle.

He came out of his hide several times last night, then he ended up settling on top of it for a number of hours. I could see that he was still breathing the whole time. About half an hour ago I noticed him crawling around, seemingly normally, with no visible injury except that his head is still tilted. Suprisingly, he still hasn't regurged. If he hadn't just eaten, I think I would have done what I could to find an available herp vet to look at him last night. But I'm afraid that if he has damage to his neck/head, that adding more stress could invite a regurge that could finish him off. On the other hand, if he's suffering, I would feel terrible sitting around waiting to see what happens. He doesn't appear to be suffering, but I can't pretend that I would know exactly what that looks like. The head tilt thing is extremely troubling.

Sorry for the novel, I just wanted to get all details in. I feel terrible. Any advice?

Old 01-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
Bobo's Mama
Oh poor Bill, I feel terrible for you Dean. I don't know what to tell you though. I hope he's not suffering. I know that someone else had a similar experience not too long ago with a corn being squished in the tracks of drawer and that corn turned out to be okay. I hope he is okay. Good luck with him. I know I'll be waiting to hear the outcome of this tragedy.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
Lennycorn
I'm sorry to hear that Dean. Sometimes things happen. Everyone knows your good to your snakes. Sorry no advice . Hope the snake is ok soon.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
debcash
Dean -
I too had a horrible accident a few days ago and am waiting to see how my little opal is. She's one of the one's my cat let out. Well - I had been looking for her and moved a very heavy antique trunk to look under it. I didn't see anything, so tipped the trunk back upright. My husband went down to look after he got home from work and found her squished under the trunk. I felt horrible - I have never hurt an animal. Parts of her lower body were completely flat. It was awful, I was sick about it and I honestly didn't think there was any way she could live. I set her outside in a bag to cool down before euthanizing her. When I check on her the next morning - she looked completely normal. Tongue flicking, moving etc...I couldn't believe it. The flat parts were rounded and looked fine. She's been back in her tub now for 3 days and looks pretty good. I am not going to feed her for at least 10 days to give any internal damage more time to heal. The only noticable damage is a bit of swelling and a small bruise(?) about 2-3 inches up from the tail. I won't know anything for sure until I see if she can pass food.
But I write all this to say I'm so sorry - I know how you feel. They are hardy little creatures - I hope they both pull through. Please let us know how he does.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
Roy Munson
Thanks Bobo's Mama, and Lennycorn. Your kind words help. I don't want to play this up as a world crisis, but it's upsetting to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcash
Dean -
I too had a horrible accident a few days ago and am waiting to see how my little opal is. She's one of the one's my cat let out. Well - I had been looking for her and moved a very heavy antique trunk to look under it. I didn't see anything, so tipped the trunk back upright. My husband went down to look after he got home from work and found her squished under the trunk. I felt horrible - I have never hurt an animal. Parts of her lower body were completely flat. It was awful, I was sick about it and I honestly didn't think there was any way she could live. I set her outside in a bag to cool down before euthanizing her. When I check on her the next morning - she looked completely normal. Tongue flicking, moving etc...I couldn't believe it. The flat parts were rounded and looked fine. She's been back in her tub now for 3 days and looks pretty good. I am not going to feed her for at least 10 days to give any internal damage more time to heal. The only noticable damage is a bit of swelling and a small bruise(?) about 2-3 inches up from the tail. I won't know anything for sure until I see if she can pass food.
But I write all this to say I'm so sorry - I know how you feel. They are hardy little creatures - I hope they both pull through. Please let us know how he does.
Thanks Deb. I'm so happy that your opal seems to have recovered. Keep us posted. I really appreciate you telling your story. I often underestimate their hardiness, so I really needed a good reminder. I had the ziplock bag out too, last night. I just couldn't do it though, without giving him a little more time. He really seems fine in all respects except for the head tilt. If he remains healthy looking, digests his meal, and the head tilt persists, I'll consult a vet. I'll be watching him closely, but I won't attempt to feed him for 10-14 days no matter how he looks. Thanks again. -Dean

Old 01-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
chisoxfan0971
yourletting people handle your snakes, and feeding them at the same time....you need to chill out with the stress your putting on these snakes...i hope your snakes survives and is healthy enough to survive

Old 01-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
mbdorfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan0971
yourletting people handle your snakes, and feeding them at the same time....you need to chill out with the stress your putting on these snakes
I seriously doubt that Dean would let anyone handle a just fed snake
Dean, this is a rather unfortunate accident and I hope all goes well. Keep a good thought, maybe he'll shake it off in a few days. They are pretty hardy after all

Old 01-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #8
Wilder
Quote:
yourletting people handle your snakes, and feeding them at the same time....you need to chill out with the stress your putting on these snakes...i hope your snakes survives and is healthy enough to survive
I have to wonder how that's a problem. I handle my snakes before putting them into their feeding containers on feeding day. Then they go right back to their vivs, and I don't doubt that's what Dean was doing, too. I hardly see him as feeding his snakes, then tossing them around to random people to hold.

So sorry to hear about this, Dean, I hope he'll be okay. I would think if it were something really bad he wouldn't be acting more or less normal, but I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #9
Roy Munson
Quote:
I wasn't looking for that kind of advice. Sorry to give you an old man response, but this statement is 100% true:

I've handled, fed, and owned corn snakes since you were in the womb. I've probably kept snakes since your Mom was in Junior High. I'm pretty good at risk assessment, (hey, I've worked for an insurance company since you entered first grade), so don't worry about my mellow snakes' stress levels. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
Lennycorn
Quote:
I agree with Wilder, Dean did nothing wrong here. I would think you misunderstood his thread. Chill.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google