CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Cloth/Felt/Fleece options?

Old 09-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #1
Dazzles
Cloth/Felt/Fleece options?

This may be an insane question -- I am a hobby seamstress and as such, I have an abundance of material just laying around. Cotton Wovens, cotton lycra, fleece, felt, even some mesh gym-shorts materials.

Is there anything I can make with this stuff that my snake could use? I'm not talking sweaters or anything (how cute though, right?).

Things like -- fleece terrarium liners, or a felt box with a hole in it as a "hide". As long as I change them out and wash them frequently (I have free and clear detergent) -- would it be an issue?

I tried to google for inspiration but every word combo I used yielded no results. I assume that means it isn't an option.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
jagodzinski
I remembered Nicole (nicolefowler2005) did something with a bandana once for her little wormie Bella. I just found the link. Maybe you could rig something up like this?

LINK

Old 09-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #3
Dazzles
Oh cute!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Old 09-27-2016, 03:13 AM   #4
Hikari
I've seen people make hammocks for lizards and such, I don't see why you couldn't make one for a snake. Been debating doing that for my snake as well, but also kinda lazy when it comes to sewing, so I might just buy one of those repti-hammocks or something, lol.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
Dragonling
I would avoid anything too fuzzy that could snag like felt. Fleece should be just fine though.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #6
Mette
My snake loves his hammock in a top corner of his viv.
It's made of a triangular piece of thin fabric. The corners are tied to some of his climbing branches.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
Distaff
I use fabric to line the bird cages, and the rat cages. It works really well for cages with slide out trays - just wrap around the tray, and slide it back in. I use fleece too, but prefer smooth fabric for the birds as it is easiest to scrape the poops off before laundering. It is a nice surface, however.

Wallmart had bins of $2 fleece blankets this Christmas. I bought several, and so far, they have held up really well. No threads for anyone to get caught in. (I trimmed the "blanket stitch" edges off.)

My snakes are all in planted substrate, or SaniChips. I HAVE thought about using fleece for them, but I prefer a naturalistic look for them, and I've never seen a snake enclosure designed to make the use worthwhile. Again, it is SO much easier if you can just slide the tray out sideways, rather than pulling it up. However, I change liners daily for the birds and rates, a snake normally wouldn't need changes that often.

Could work well. I have heard of a burmese dying after eating its "blanket." So, there might be some risk.

The hammock idea sounds good.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google