CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

North Florida Weather Today

Old 01-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #1
Nanci
North Florida Weather Today

The national weather service has issued a Particularly Dangerous Situation Tornado Watch for a large portion of Florida. They have never, ever issued one for this area. I am packing up my dogs and bird and seeking shelter, since my home would not be safe.

How are you doing up there, Rich???

Old 01-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
Rich Z
Been very windy all day so far. Radar is showing a line of storms heading this way. A tornado watch is in effect till 8pm. Had a tornado watch yesterday up till 7pm. We've had a couple lines of similar looking storm fronts the past couple of days. Getting a lot of rain with them, but so far nothing out of the ordinary.

Seems to me weather like this is normally a Spring event around here, so it's kind of odd in January. Of course, some of our plants are putting out flowers already, so as far as they are concerned, it IS Spring here. Been seeing butterflies around and lots of lizards sunning themselves. I would imagine the spring peepers will be going nuts down by our stream. Heck, I wouldn't mind at all if that last couple of nights we had a week or so ago where it dropped down into the upper 20s will be the extent of our Winter.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
Nanci
Be careful up there. You're under a warning in Wakulla County.

Tornado Tracking

Old 01-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
Rich Z
The storm front just passed through. Heavy rain, a teeny bit of thunder, and it's over with. Some winds preceded the rain, but nothing worrisome. The birds are back to business at the feeders.

Hopefully your neck of the woods will fare as well.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
Nanci
I saw video footage of a tornado in Albany, GA. I'm close to ready to head out. My dogs and bird are in the car.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
Nanci
How long did it take to pass through, Rich?

Old 01-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
Rich Z
Didn't take more than 15 or so minutes to pass through. I shut down the computers when things started kicking up, and then made myself comfortable in the living room to watch the storm outside the window. Hardly got myself settled before it was over with.

Now apparently everyone wasn't so lucky. Friend of mine JUST called to see how we fared. He is a bit southeast of us. He said a tornado passed REAL close to him and knocked down a bunch of trees. Power is out in his area. He said the rain was horizontal. He said wind speed was clocked at 119 mph there, but not sure if he heard that or clocked it himself. He has some weather equipment at his house. Power didn't even flicker here.

So I guess you need to hunker down, as this pretty much proves that there are some tornadoes associated with this front.

Stay safe!

Old 01-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I saw video footage of a tornado in Albany, GA. I'm close to ready to head out. My dogs and bird are in the car.
Where are you going to head out to? Looks like that line of storms is going to extend from Orlando up north of Savannah. So it's going to be crossing quite a large area.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #9
Twolunger
Hope the storms passed you by without damage. There's been strong winds for the past two days in Port Charlotte. Last year a tornado hit about 8 miles away but only tore off pieces of roof on the taller buildings.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #10
Nanci
I went and parked in the concrete/steel garage at work. The storm split and missed my house entirely.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google