CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Newbie corn owner!

Old 02-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
April0684
Newbie corn owner!

Just got my Gatlin Tuesday! He seems to be doing well but still wanted to ask some questions to make sure I continue to do right by him. The pet store in my town is unfortunately going out of business so they are doing big close out sells trying to get rid of stuff. I've been wanting a corn for a very long time now so thought this would be a perfect opportunity. The pet store lady gave me a ton of information and sold me things that she said would be everything I needed for him. I've had misinformation from other pet stores growing up so thought I'd run everything by y'all.

His set up thus far is a 20g long aquarium, coco fiber substrate that was bought as a brick and had to soak to become what it is currently, a water bowl big enough that he can soak in, a half log hide, a decorative branch, a hygrometer that's stuck to the back about midway lengthwise and height-wise, a lid, two cage clip locks, two separate light fixtures one with a day bulb and the other with a night bulb and I switch them back and forth from day to night, a spray bottle that I use to mist the tank daily, and a plastic storage case with some holes that I can feed him in.

She said they've been feeding him one mouse once a week. He is fully grown according to her. Does that feeding schedule sound about right? Also are there any supplies that I don't have that I need for him?

Old 02-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
Dragonling
Hi and welcome!

If you don't have a kitchen scale, it might be something to look into picking up. Males tend to be extra efficient with their food, so if you notice too much weight gain you may want to bump him down to feeding every 10-14 days. My largest male typically eats a 20-25g mouse on that schedule and has gained another 100g since last June, about 1/5 of his current weight. He's getting a little extra right now because of the breeding season, at one per week, but once he's done doing his snakey business he'll be fed twice a month until next spring. I might even spread that out a little every now and then. If he gets too big, he'll squash the girls!

Old 02-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
Scrappyeddie77
I don't use heat lights I use a heat pad and a thermostat to keep everything right
You might want to look into a good thermometer like this

The ones you stick to the tank don't really give you a good read of what the temps are inside the tank but they do tell the temperature of the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Scrappyeddie77
Btw is there any other pet stores where you live. You will need a place to get mice from or you can order some online which is what I do just seems easier to get 100 - 200 mice at a time frozen

Old 02-03-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by April0684 View Post
Just got my Gatlin Tuesday! He seems to be doing well but ...........

1). His set up thus far is a 20g long aquarium, coco fiber substrate that was bought as a brick and had to soak to become what it is currently...........

2). She said they've been feeding him one mouse once a week. He is fully grown according to her. Does that feeding schedule sound about right? Also are there any supplies that I don't have that I need for him?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1. I've not tried the coco fiber myself so take this comment with a grain of salt - I've heard that it retains moisture really well.... "Too well." Too much moisture can be bad for corn snakes especially if they have to lay in it. It can lead to scale rot. Typical humidity requirements are about 40% except when shedding, you might want to boost it a bit. Most people here use Aspen Shavings, paper towels, newspaper, etc... Coco fiber is probably ok, just try to keep it dry.

2. About how big is the snake? Full grown would suggest about 4 feet, with a diameter about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch in the middle. A snake that size would do fine with a 25 to 35 gram mouse every 14 days. (My snake is not quite full grown, he's 2 years, measures 42 inches long, weighs 344 grams and I feed him a "Large mouse" packaged size is 24 to 30 grams every Sunday morning. I plan to move him to a 10 day schedule when he passes 350 grams, and then a 14 day schedule at 400 grams.)

Old 02-03-2017, 11:32 PM   #6
April0684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Hi and welcome!

If you don't have a kitchen scale, it might be something to look into picking up. Males tend to be extra efficient with their food, so if you notice too much weight gain you may want to bump him down to feeding every 10-14 days. My largest male typically eats a 20-25g mouse on that schedule and has gained another 100g since last June, about 1/5 of his current weight. He's getting a little extra right now because of the breeding season, at one per week, but once he's done doing his snakey business he'll be fed twice a month until next spring. I might even spread that out a little every now and then. If he gets too big, he'll squash the girls!
Thank you for that advice! I will definitely try and pick one of those up this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappyeddie77 View Post
I don't use heat lights I use a heat pad and a thermostat to keep everything right
You might want to look into a good thermometer like this

The ones you stick to the tank don't really give you a good read of what the temps are inside the tank but they do tell the temperature of the glass.

I was looking at one of those at Petsmart yesterday while doing some out of town shopping. I ended up deciding I could probably pick one up for cheaper offline. Will add one of those to my list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappyeddie77 View Post
Btw is there any other pet stores where you live. You will need a place to get mice from or you can order some online which is what I do just seems easier to get 100 - 200 mice at a time frozen

Yes, fortunately, the pet store lady also owns a grooming shop. It's right beside the pet shop. The grooming shop is going to be remaining open and she is going to continue selling the feeders from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1. I've not tried the coco fiber myself so take this comment with a grain of salt - I've heard that it retains moisture really well.... "Too well." Too much moisture can be bad for corn snakes especially if they have to lay in it. It can lead to scale rot. Typical humidity requirements are about 40% except when shedding, you might want to boost it a bit. Most people here use Aspen Shavings, paper towels, newspaper, etc... Coco fiber is probably ok, just try to keep it dry.

2. About how big is the snake? Full grown would suggest about 4 feet, with a diameter about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch in the middle. A snake that size would do fine with a 25 to 35 gram mouse every 14 days. (My snake is not quite full grown, he's 2 years, measures 42 inches long, weighs 344 grams and I feed him a "Large mouse" packaged size is 24 to 30 grams every Sunday morning. I plan to move him to a 10 day schedule when he passes 350 grams, and then a 14 day schedule at 400 grams.)
Oh wow, I didn't know that. She was telling me they like it moist and to keep it misted daily. The hygrometer is showing just a bit less than 40 at the moment. I wouldn't have a problem switching him over to aspen though if that is a safer option for him.

I believe that he is four feet not sure about diameter, sorry not good with measurements. I have taken a couple pics for y'all so maybe y'all can tell me.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #7
Dragonling
I think the pet store lady thought she was selling you a ball python lol. Consider that corns live in the Southwestern US, not the Congo. Some humidity is great. Too much is asking for respiratory problems and water blisters. I've caught my fellow pet care associates giving equally bad advice, so it's not surprising you were told to keep him moist.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
April0684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
I think the pet store lady thought she was selling you a ball python lol. Consider that corns live in the Southwestern US, not the Congo. Some humidity is great. Too much is asking for respiratory problems and water blisters. I've caught my fellow pet care associates giving equally bad advice, so it's not surprising you were told to keep him moist.
Oh ok, thanks so much for that information! So, should I still mist his tank some or do you think it would be fine without misting? I'll be switching him over to aspen substrate since that seems to be the most recommended on here. Do you have any recommendations for a good brand of thermometer with probe that I could buy online? I'm still going to be picking up a kitchen scale too so I can properly weigh him. I went by the pet shop today and bought a live mouse but he didn't want it. Will be trying it again later this evening. They sell frozen too, is there a preference of which is better to be giving him? She said he has been getting only live so it may take a few trys to get him over to frozen which is why I went with live today.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #9
Scrappyeddie77
This is the aspen I use now but I have seen another kind that has smaller bits
I just don't like the big chunks of it just my opinion

Old 02-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #10
Scrappyeddie77
And I don't ever mist mine

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google