• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hides vs just burrowing

Thanks daddio, my tubs have a double lip with a foam seal. Like I said that's what she wanted. I have about 40 sterilite tubs from my old Leo racks that I wanted to use but she said that they don't latch tight enough. I originally bought 15 ft of 11 inch flexwatt in plans of back heat, guess I'll use it for a hatchling rack if I ever decide to breed them. Thanks alot

I get it LOL ! Each snake has its own level of intent to escape. I've ,stupidly, have forgot to put a cover back on a tub but found the snake still in it the next day. Also have/had snakes that kept escaping tubs that seemed impossible to do so from. My greatest escape artist, a T- albino beauty snake, is named Houdini haha...
The use of back heat tape allows so much more savings in construction and provides more versatility. I have 2 racks that can hold either eight 31 qt. tubs or twenty four shoe box containers. 31 qt. tubs are stacked 2 high and shoe boxes are stacked 3 high. Both size stacks fit snuggly between the shelves keeping the tops from being able to be pushed off.
:)

Thanks Daddio! That makes a lot of sense. I only have screen top tanks so can only speak to that from experience.

Last year I had a vet tell me to put the heat pad on the back of the tank because of the burn danger. Frankly, I ignored her knowing from reading here that it just wouldn't work in my tanks. I do of course use thermostats. My new vet (same practice different doc) recommended no such thing.

In the winter partially I cover the screens, adjusting the open area to control temp and humidity. It works a charm.

It's sad that the same bad advice given 20-30+ years ago is still going around today. This is why Teacher's Pet Reptiles concentrates more on education of proper care than what color coat the snake is wearing.
I know that is your main focus too!

Yeah like I said I had tried having baby corns when I was a kid, in those little plastic critter keepers, always escaped how I don't know so hopefully they wont get out of these, that ad at 6 months should be a little bit bigger than what I had 15 years ago. And the back heat will cut the price down in material big time, I had to use a pice of regular 3/4 plywood for one of the shelves. It was either that or buy a whole piece of melenite for one shelf.plus the flexibility of different tubs in the same rack. While I'm on the subject of racks opinions on color black or white? Thanks

I use sterilite tubs mainly. There is no give to the seal to allow the wire to pass through?

Not saying you should do this but I do, and with a locking weathertite tub as well. There is definitely some give in some of the larger tubs.

Yeah like I said I had tried having baby corns when I was a kid, in those little plastic critter keepers, always escaped how I don't know so hopefully they wont get out of these, that ad at 6 months should be a little bit bigger than what I had 15 years ago. And the back heat will cut the price down in material big time, I had to use a piece of regular 3/4 plywood for one of the shelves. It was either that or buy a whole piece of melenite for one shelf.plus the flexibility of different tubs in the same rack. While I'm on the subject of racks opinions on color black or white? Thanks

The key escape proof racks is designing it for tubs with lids and whether you stack (not possible with bottom heat) or only have a single tub per shelf is a snug fit between shelving.
The 28 and 31 qt. tubs I use have the snap shut latches that yours does but I use those in a way that part of the tub sticks out of the rack. It creates a better heat gradient. I never had an escape from them either.

All my racks are white just due to availability of the melamine shelving. I did use plain ole pine shelving for my 14 unit (2 per shelf) 41 qt. rack and noticed after a year that it was sweating sap!?!?

I would think pine shelving might be frowned upon for the same reason pine bedding is...

I've had the rack for years. There is no possible contact between the occupant and shelf. The sides and back are melamine. Since the tubs all have lids there is no exposure to the sap. The back heat tape puts off just enough heat to make them sweat a little sap but not enough to dissolve it into a gas. It took a year or so for the issue to even start. No issues or worries. That being said, it is the only one I used the pine shelves for and I would not do it again do to the mess it makes though minor in volume.

I like the look of melamine but hate working with it. It's vary brittle when putting screws on end. I piolt everything and use #6 trim screws still have a few that split. Most of my leopard gecko racks were made of plywood and I never had the sap problem. I never used lids with them, was nice slide tub 2/3 the way out and you could access everything.

Back