CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

steam bath?

Old 02-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
elsita
steam bath?

i heard somewhere that you can give your snake a steam bath to help shed.
is this real? if so how?

Old 02-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
never heard of it.

Sounds dangerous to me.

Most of us find it useful to provide a "Moist Hide" or simply mist the cage with a Flower Mister, but only if the snake needs it.

Unless your snake has a history of "Bad Sheds" there's really no reason to be concerned about it.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
Twolunger
Yikes, I hate to think of someone resorting to a steam bath for their Corn. My younger Corns have climbed in their water bowls, and I lightly mist the rack container for older ones shedding. But I'd say forget the steam bath idea, totally unnecessary.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:30 PM   #4
Dragonling
I've used a nebulizer to treat a respiratory infection, but otherwise it's entirely unnecessary.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:44 AM   #5
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
I've used a nebulizer to treat a respiratory infection, but otherwise it's entirely unnecessary.

Yeah I did that once many years ago . Nebulised F10 and successfully treated a RI in a Royal python and didn't need a vet ...

Old 02-23-2017, 03:53 AM   #6
Zincubus
Well so many snakes soak themselves for days to aid their shedding so I'm not again putting a snake in a secure plastic tub of snake temp water for 20 minutes or so - just keep an eye on things . They look at each corner for a minute then they immediately settle down.

The important part is after the soak - you have a wet , rough textured towel ready and let it slide through the towel in your hands , constantly feeding it back under the towel . This method is great for removing stubborn skin from a bad shed and also removing retained eye caps BUT it's not normally necessary if you're humidity levels are good.

Another tip is to wait until their eyes clear and they get their colour back THEN spray the viv twice a day until the snake sheds ....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
shedding