CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Duel sired clutch ?

Old 03-25-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
ECWcorn
Duel sired clutch ?

I was just wondering if anyone has had or herd of a dual sired clutch? I've herd of it happening with ball pythons, but nothing else . I'm using back up breeders for some virgin males I have going this year. I jumped the gun on one guy how finally figured out what he's supposed to do. Anyway just wondering.
Thanks , Eric

Old 03-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Dragonling
I've attempted it this year. Hypo lavender het amel x peach hypo lavender + cayenne fire. We'll see what we end up with. I imagine it's probably best to do with either two identical males or two very different ones (to ensure you can distinguish who sired who). My female is a couple weeks from laying.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
ECWcorn
The two males in question are very close in genetics. It will be really hard to distinguish. One male is hypo\cinder het amel, the other is a peppermint. The female is a honey het amel. The peppermint was my primary,but didn't look like he's was up to the task. He has since figured things out. I've done the math and it will all depend on how many amels are produced.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
Dragonling
It will be impossible at hatch to determine, and remember that statistics don't always reflect reality. Ultimately you'll have to label them all poss het hypo regardless of what percentage is homozygous amel.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #5
ECWcorn
Yep your right . There is the slight chance that my hypo\cinder isn't amel as well, he's a poss het. So we'll see. Regardless I'm producing future shatter makers.
I've decided I'm going to mix match another back up pairing a little further apart genetically just to see what happens.
Eric

Old 03-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
Dragonling
If you happen to get hypo back with those so much the better. Great project either way. I'm a big fan of shatters, and would love to see more combos.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
Twolunger
Well, I'm envious of the terrific morphs you two are breeding from this year. A lot depends upon what you intend to do with any hatchlings produced. Buyers most often want specific info on the background of snakes they purchase. Predictability is very important when you are breeding snakes. I have several females with so many recessive morphs in their background that each clutch that hatches is what I call a Heinz 57 clutch. The hatchlings are often very beautiful, but I only sell them as local pets or wholesale lots. I'd never sell them to a breeder to use in their future breeding colony because they could not expect predictability. I would use one male to one female for higher end morphs, with the knowledge that some mating pairs may not produce in a specific year.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
ECWcorn
I agree with you and practice this myself. In my case I used a back up male with similar genetics. The male I wanted to breed was on the small side and a virgin. The first three times I introduced him he didn't really know what to do. I wasn't sure he'd be able to even breed at all, so I used my back up. As for the hatchlings I generally hold onto 2.3 - 3.4 for whatever project I'm working towards, and then whole sale the rest. I'll let people know what I have first if anyone is interested, then whole sale.
The Heinz 57's make some of best breeders as long as you know what genes are in them. I love hatching day with them as well. There like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #9
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
\ I have several females with so many recessive morphs in their background that each clutch that hatches is what I call a Heinz 57 clutch.
With all the sweet food related names we have in corn morphs, my preferred term is "fruit salad". My trio next year should produce quite a large number of morphs thanks to their combined 7-8 possible mutations, and they will most certainly produce more than a few babies het fruit salad.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:54 PM   #10
Highball
I have had a dual sired clutch with one of my corn females. Very different offspring from each father ex hypo diffuseds from one dad and anery tesseras from another dad.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google