CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Male or Female?

Old 10-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
Jereme
Male or Female?

We have a what I still believe is a female. We bought her at a year old and I had no idea then how to prob. Since then I have learned a bit, but this was only my second season. I had her prob at reptile shop and I have done it at least 3 times. Always probs like a female. Now she is 3 and when I put a male with her she flipped out. Twitching and whipping around like she was being attacked. So I left the male with her for about a week and every time I would check on them they would be curled up a opposite end like anger 5 year old kids. So she did not breed this last season. I thought maybe I could try again now that it's not so hot and see what happens. I tried 3 different males 1st was the same as last season that she did not like. She started twitching like a male, but would move away from him. The second she was a little clamer but still twitchy. The 3rd was our big male orchid that father 4 clutches this season. She did not twitch but they were both what I can only describe as unsure of each other. He did not seem interested,so i separated them. After talking it over whith my wife, we Both agreed we should ask all of you.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
smigon
How old is she, how much does she weigh and what is her length? If you could post a good pic of her down to the tip of her tail from above her cloaca it might be easy to tell, but probing is best. Also, Youtube has lots of videos.

To breed it is really recommended that she is 3/3/3: 3 years old, 3 feet long, and 300 grams. Any smaller and she is probably not ready and it can cause lots of problems.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
Nanci
She probably just wasn't ready. That is very normal behavior. Next season, starting after the first shed of the new year, put them together, in a separate, empty bin, every Sunday. Set a timer for 30 minutes. If they haven't mated in 30 minutes, repeat the next Sunday.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
daddio207
Yeah, I agree with Nanci. She's just not in the mood. I also give about 30 minutes then separate with corn snakes. Depending on each snakes reaction I might pair them up again in 3 or 4 days but usually wait 7.
I give my Hondurans about 5 minutes then separate. The girl is 1200g and the boy is 400g. If she isn't showing a willingness in 5 minutes then out he comes before she accidentally hurts him. He's always willing lol !
3/3/3 is definitely a minimum. I prefer closer to 4/4/4 myself. Definitely can have issues at any age/length/weight though......

Old 10-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
Jereme
I am sorry, guess i should have been more clear. I did say she is 3, but should have said she is 3 years old. She hatched July 2011 the exacted date I can not seem to find. She was 342 grams at the start of the 2014 season. When I put the males with her that i mentioned above she was 365 grams.

Thank you for the advice Nanci. That makes sense, of the 8 females i breed this last season the ones that laid breed in that 30 min window. but i had a male that showed no interest in breeding. He is a 2010 over 400 grams, i got him mid season so maybe the change of location throw him off.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
Shiari
You have two possibilities:

1- Put 'her' in with a confirmed female and see if 'she' starts exhibiting male breeding behaviour. I found out two of my 'girls' were actually boys this way.

2- She may not like your hours, or your males. I had a *confirmed* female that would flip the hell out every time I put a male in with her, and I tried 6 different males. She simply didn't like my house.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
Jereme
I put her in with a proven female and she freaked the same way!

Old 10-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
smigon
I know you did say she was 3, but I wanted to pass along that she needs to be a minimum of 300g and 3' long as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google