• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I am now snake food (ADVICE FOR CALMING SNAKE?)

cornbreadandmilk

Non-registered User
So, recently a yearling of mine has decided to be very very nasty.

Besides aggressively coming out of her box at me, she has now decided I taste good too.

What I mean is this,usually they strike at me they bite or miss and its over once I hold them.

This one actually thinks I am food.

Example: I got her out of the box . I have her in my hands and she is calm until she slowly and very gently opens her mouth and attempts to eat my finger.

Really slowly , like how some corns will just push their nose into a frozen/thawed mouse.

I am guessing I just need to hold her until she understands?

Whats the safest way to pry her off?

currently, I very gently slide a butter knife between her upper jaw and my finger is this safe?

Guessing could break her jaw whats the best way?

Usually just wait for them to released. Do you wash your hands before handling? Do you ever hand feed? I would try feeding in a separate container for awhile, avoid hand feeding... and increase frequency and size of feedings. Ive had them get feisty around that age in the past and those things worked for me.

I think they go through growth spurts or something at that age and usually upping the feeding schedule to every 4-5 days for a short time (maybe 3-4 feedings) doesn't cause any problems.

I know what you mean, I have a big guy who mistook my thumb for dinner, and he did not let go until I squeezed his jaw slightly to open his mouth wider. I still got a nasty, bloody bite, but he was working his way up to the tip of my thumb like they do on the mice. He may not have ever let go! Pour a few drops of vinegar or some juice into his mouth if the, they don't like either, he should let go immediately.

Try the water trick first, hold him and your finger under cool water so it is running into his mouth, he should let go or risk drowning.

Oh, and as for calming him, what are your temps set at on your thermostat? A cold snake (or too hot) can get nasty if they are uncomfortable.

I've heard mouthwash or alcohol can get them to release. Just on a q-tip held near his face so he gets the fumes. Never tried it, but saw it work on a king snake on good ol' YouTube.

Rubbing alcohol is hit or miss. It's a corn, so shouldn't be too bad, I'll usually just grasp behind the head and they'll let go. A Cal king on the other hand, is usually much more determined.

Yes I always wash my hands and feed in separate boxes. I have also raised her food amount. (chip) I actually started using the butter knife on my cousins cali king after many failed attempts to remove with water and it had been on his arm for 15 mins. Cali kings dont give up

smigon temps vary, usually around 75-76 I am thinking.
I am not living with my snakes at the moment. I visit once a week to feed and handle the snakes during that time I have bulbs on for them.

smigon temps vary, usually around 75-76 I am thinking.
I am not living with my snakes at the moment. I visit once a week to feed and handle the snakes during that time I have bulbs on for them.

I think you found the problem. The warm end of the tank (heated with a UTH regulated with a thermostat) should always be 85-87°. 75° is a good cool end temp, but you definitely need to raise that warm end up a lot. If you are not sure how to do this setup, let me know. There are a lot of posts on it, but you definitely want to get it done before winter sets in.

Bulbs and heat lamps are no good. They can't be regulated and corns need belly heat to digest, and bulbs break, they can catch fire, and they are just a nuisance in general. Definitely rework your heating and I will bet you will have a much better behaved corn!

I've heard mouthwash or alcohol can get them to release. Just on a q-tip held near his face so he gets the fumes. Never tried it, but saw it work on a king snake on good ol' YouTube.

I tried alcohol, but after 4 tequila shots and two beers he was on the floor and we were trying to do the "Worm" together. They have no tolerance for alcohol!

A couple of degrees at a time, spot checking surface temps until it is holding where you want it. Give 2-3 hours between adjustments, and you should be able to tell at what temp it is maxing out.

A couple of degrees at a time, spot checking surface temps until it is holding where you want it. Give 2-3 hours between adjustments, and you should be able to tell at what temp it is maxing out.

Agreed, the temps bump pretty quickly and you can have the perfect temp within a day.

Back