CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Handling

Old 08-30-2019, 11:02 PM   #1
megdobbs09
Handling

Hey guys,

Just had a question about handling our corn snake, who's roughly a year and a half give or take. Sorry in advance if this is a repeat topic or also a dumb question lol. But is it okay to take our snake out during the day? Obviously he's more active in the early evenings, but if we have company that wants to see him, is it okay to unbury him from the bedding? Also any tips in grabbing him out of the tank in general (when he is out and about I mean)? I'm still a little timid taking him out, so my bf has to every time If you can't tell, this is all new to me.

Attached is a picture of our little guy, who's name is Kaa!

Thanks for the help!Name:  IMG_20190830_225330_993.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  80.0 KB

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Old 08-31-2019, 02:50 AM   #2
Pine
Petty baby there.
No need to worry about when to hold him, they are very passive and as long as you don't hurt it, all is good.
As far as picking it up, just don't hesitate and try to scoop under the middle of him and support with your other hand after you pick him up.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
hypnoctopus
Yep, I agree with the previous post. The only time I'm hesitant about handling is if the snake is not eating, sick, or in blue (and even then, it won't hurt them to be handled in blue; they might just be a bit cranky). As far as taking him out of the enclosure, it really helps to just confidently scoop him up. You're more likely to be bitten if you're nervous and hesitant and keep retracting your hand because you're afraid. If you are worried, you can wear a glove or use a snake hook to get him out. If I have a snake that I know is a bit bitey, I like to steadily and slowly put my hand flat on top of him and then scoop him up like a clump of spaghetti.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
megdobbs09
Great tips from both of you guys! Thank you so much!

Old 09-01-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
Twolunger
All good advice. The only thing I might add is that I don't handle mine after feeding until they defecate, especially for the first two days after feeding. Usually handling gently won't cause a regurgitation, but why take a chance? On the third or fourth day he may leave an unwanted gift in your lap, so wait until he's done his duty in the vivarium first.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:03 AM   #6
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
All good advice. The only thing I might add is that I don't handle mine after feeding until they defecate, especially for the first two days after feeding. Usually handling gently won't cause a regurgitation, but why take a chance? On the third or fourth day he may leave an unwanted gift in your lap, so wait until he's done his duty in the vivarium first.
Also a good point. I forgot to add that to my list of times I wouldn't handle.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
Pine
Very good point about handling mice.
Feeding bites are not the snakes fault and can be very anxious for you because you don't want you or the snake to get hurt.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
megdobbs09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Oh absolutely! That was one of the first things I read when we got him. Plus He's already pooped on my boyfriend and u don't want that happening to me lmao!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google