CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Hovabator Question

Old 11-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
KatieL
Hovabator Question

Hey everyone,

Jeff is getting me my incubator for Christmas, and we are currently debating between the two different models of Hovabators: Thermal Air, and TurboFan. Has anyone used the turbofan model and found that it is significantly better? Or used the regular thermal-air model and found it lacking?

If the turbofan model is much better then I'd definitely pick that one, but if it doesn't really make much difference then I'd like to know that before we invested the extra money. Its just hard to tell for us, never having used either, if the diffence is worthwhile. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help everyone!

P.S. I've been a good girl and did the search on here before I posted this. I learned lots of neat stuff about incubators, but nothing on the difference between these two models.

Old 11-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
manog
I have not used either but i have heard that the thermal air is a better choice for reptiles. Again that is just what i have been told and i have no experience with them.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
KatieL
Okay, that would be very convenient, since that is the less expensive model (and there is a special at LLL reptiles where it comes with vermiculite and deli-cups, woohoo!). I hope you are right. Thanks for the input.

I'm still open to suggestions though since I still have a few days before Jeff plans to order. Has anyone used either model?

Old 11-06-2005, 10:40 PM   #4
Tegucentric
Incubators with forced air fans are much harder to reliably hold a temperature and to keep the humidity maintained at the correct level.

Rick

Old 11-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #5
Joni Garcia
That'll be a fun Christmas present! The main problem with the TurboFan is it dries out the incubating medium really fast. I believe that's why many people recommend the Thermal model for reptiles. Let us know what you get, and we'll be looking forward to hatchling pictures next year!

Old 11-07-2005, 02:44 AM   #6
manog
LLL Reptile is in my town. They are the ones who said the thermal air flow was better for the reptiles. They are a great shop and i highly reccomend them.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:58 AM   #7
KatieL
Alright guys, Thermal Air it is! Thanks so much for all your help!

And red_mamma, unfortunately my corns are all still too small for breeding this year. However, things may be looking good for breeding our new pueblan in the next few months (if she is indeed female). And an incubator is always a handy thing to have around anyway...especially for all my critters at the nature center. I just might be tempted to post pics of the baby pueblans anyway though, since the will be my first snakie clutch. If I have any hatchlings I am sure you all will be the first to know it!

Again, thanks for all your help everyone!

Old 11-07-2005, 07:15 PM   #8
SerpentMama
Hope this isn't what you guys think of as a "dumb question" but how many eggs will the Hovabators hold?
Thanks,
SerpentMama

Old 11-08-2005, 06:54 PM   #9
KatieL
That is a good question actually, and one I do not know the answer to either. But it's 18 inches x 18 inches x 7.5 inches, so I would guess a fair number of them...?

Old 11-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #10
paulh
I put a clutch of eggs in an open shoebox of Vermiculite and put the shoebox inside a sweater box, which prevents the humidity from escaping. My sweater boxes are 16x12x6 inches. If the Hovabator is 18x18x7.5 inches outside dimensions, then it is too small for me to use. YMMV.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google