• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

suggestions for the enclosure

DonnaGee

I took pictures; but, the system told me they were too big. I reduced the size by 50% and the system indicated that they were still too big. I really wanted to share; but, I'm not sure how to make the pictures even smaller.

Anyway, I have ordered a baby cornsnake and requested the seller hold on to him a little while longer until the temps are a bit lower. Indoors, it is a comfortable 77 degrees. We have a heat pump and I keep the thermostat at 77 degrees year round.

I wanted to get some input as to what changes I would need to make or if the enclosure is okay the way it is.

Can somebody tell me how to reduce the size of photos?

You can always upload them somewhere else and then use the image button to post them. Or even just the link. Photos uploaded directly to the forum will tell you what file size each format can be.

I see two photos.

I'm liking the way it's looking! But it definitely needs some more small, tight hides and maybe some ground cover to help a baby corn feel secure. 77 degrees is a comfortable ambient temp, but you'll need a warm spot in the enclosure as well to allow the snake to properly digest. Do you have a heat pad or anything?

Also, what type of screen lid are you using? The type that sits on top or the type that slides into place?

Okay, perfect. That all sounds good. So then if you just add a few more hides, I think you should be good!

You haven't mentioned the dimensions of the enclosure, but judging by the thermometer/hygrometer I'd say that the enclosure you've set up would be more appropriate for a subadult than for a juvenile. Snakes chose security over proper thermoregulation (which can eventually lead to illness), and you may also experience some difficulty feeding a juvenile in an enclosure of that size, especially if you'd be offering frozen/thawed.

Keep in mind that this snake's current enclosure, which it has been kept in since emerging from its egg, may be as small as 12" Long x 3" Wide x 2" Tall (yes, two inches tall).

To the novice this may seem cruel. But to a tiny snake it feels snug, and snug means safe.

Including several small, tight hides per HypnOctopus may suffice. But if you get a few refusals I'd transfer it to a smaller enclosure. Walmart sells inexpensive, small, Sterilite containers. The screen lid that you have now, with a bit of creativity, could also be used on a Sterilite.

Individual snakes have different personalities. Some are bold right from day one. Others are timid their entire lives. Most fall somewhere between these two extremes. You'll have to see which end of the spectrum your snake leans.

Back