CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

How are GOLDENS "any" different than Caramels?

Old 11-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #11
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Just to clarify a detail concerning the history of the Caramel gene.

The original animal that produce the Caramel gene for me was a wild caught NORMAL looking adult female purchased from a pet shop in Cape Coral, Florida.
There is a wide variation in the wild corn snakes found in my area. Cape Coral, Pine Island, Charlotte County, even as far as the Keys seem to have some really fine corn snakes. I have not found a live specimen of a caramel, but have found a road kill that resembled a caramel. In 2015 I was recovering from bypass surgery and was walking with my wife for exercise just a block from our home. I spotted what I thought was a Butter going into the brush and palms. I got closer and saw that it appeared to be an Amber, and I would have caught it, but my wife reminded me that tearing my stitches loose while chasing a snake through the brush was insane. I already had an Amber male, and thought if the wild one was a female, it would be worth trying the mating. I have been searching for that corn ever since. I have seen hypos in my area, so will be on the lookout for wild caramels.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #12
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
There is a wide variation in the wild corn snakes found in my area. Cape Coral, Pine Island, Charlotte County, even as far as the Keys seem to have some really fine corn snakes. I have not found a live specimen of a caramel, but have found a road kill that resembled a caramel. In 2015 I was recovering from bypass surgery and was walking with my wife for exercise just a block from our home. I spotted what I thought was a Butter going into the brush and palms. I got closer and saw that it appeared to be an Amber, and I would have caught it, but my wife reminded me that tearing my stitches loose while chasing a snake through the brush was insane. I already had an Amber male, and thought if the wild one was a female, it would be worth trying the mating. I have been searching for that corn ever since. I have seen hypos in my area, so will be on the lookout for wild caramels.
Interesting. I have been surprised that Caramels haven't shown up in the wild, since I believe it would be a positive survival trait, much like Anerythrism seems to have been for the corn snake.

One of the prettiest corn snakes I have ever seen in the wild was a DOR on Pine Island. Very brilliant red dorsal blotches on a bright silver background. I looked HARD in that area when I could, and never found another corn snake there at all. But with all the palm tree farms on the island, seems to me it would be an excellent habitat for corns.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #13
Twolunger
I wish I knew someone living on Pine Island who could let me know if they spot a nice corn. I like to occasionally travel the roads on the island, but the locals are not happy when a guy is driving along at 25 mph. ( Except for the 1/2 mile of trinket shops)

Old 11-19-2018, 03:21 AM   #14
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I wish I knew someone living on Pine Island who could let me know if they spot a nice corn. I like to occasionally travel the roads on the island, but the locals are not happy when a guy is driving along at 25 mph. ( Except for the 1/2 mile of trinket shops)
Hey, it's Florida! Everyone drives either 25 mph, or 85 mph, no inbetween!

They'll get over it....

Old 11-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #15
Twolunger
The last guy who passed me in a beat up pickup truck must have thought I was looking for the local park because he shouted something about "sunny beaches" as he went past. I am heading to Cape Coral this week and may hit Pine Island too, just in case some awesome corn is crossing the road. A friend of mine said to get a magnetic sign for my car that reads "property assessor," which gives me an excuse for driving real slow.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:08 PM   #16
Rich Z
Heck, get a sign that says "IRS Collection Enforcement Division" and they'll certainly leave you alone!

Old 11-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #17
Twolunger
Well, when it comes to corn snakes I can be a bit devious. The last time I was on Pine Island I stopped at a couple nurseries to walk around looking for snakes. The workers were wondering why I couldn't make up my mind regarding the perfect palm tree.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #18
Rich Z
I remember an incident a long time ago when Connie and I were walking through a nursery near Englewood. We both smelled it at the same time. Indigo snake! They have a very distinctive odor when they take a dump, and it was unmistakable. Never did see it, however.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #19
Twolunger
I have been on the lookout for an Indigo. I have never seen one here but others have told me they are in my area. Nurseries are a good place to search for snakes since the plants and trees are watered year round. Geckos and anoles are abundant too.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #20
Rich Z
They used to be in the Murdock, FL area, but as you know, it's not the same place it was 30 years ago. An indigo snake in that area now probably wouldn't last 10 minutes before someone chopped it's head off or ran over it with a vehicle.

Funny how a species can be protected against anything EXCEPT developers and housing developments. Which certainly is the case in most of Florida, it seems. Even the "protected" gopher tortoises are fair game when the land they prefer is wanted for development.

Never seen any around here, but I have heard they have been spotted near the St. Marks area. But not recently, as far as I know. This area in north Florida should be crawling with them with the national forest so close, but just does not seem to be the case.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google