CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

no shed

Old 03-29-2002, 01:35 AM   #1
lynn
Question no shed

I know it can take quite a few day's for a snake to shed but she seem's to be taking to long. Never had this problem with her before, Her eye's were glazed over a week gone tuesday then they cleared and she usually shed's in the next few day's but as yet she hasn't and for about the last five day's the eye's don't look right. They look cloudy but slighty loose.

Old 03-29-2002, 10:52 AM   #2
Kevin M
Soak her in some warm water for about 15 mins, Put her back in her enclosure and see if that does the trick. If not, Put her in a warm moist cloth sack or pillowcase for a bit.

-Kev

Old 03-30-2002, 01:35 AM   #3
lynn
Thank's Kev, I couldn't do anything with her last night because she had just been fed on Thursday but she is due for her three month check today so I will try when I get back in from work and hope she can get rid of it before we go.

Old 03-30-2002, 04:19 AM   #4
Simon
Another option

you can also put a wet box filled with wet tissue and put it in his/her tank. The wet tissue will moisturize it and the old skin can come off a bit easier. Also the wet tissue will provide the friction that is needed to help the shed. So Good luck and Happy Herping! Hope it gets the old skin off asap!

Old 03-30-2002, 04:06 PM   #5
lynn
Took Wilma for her three month check and she possibly has some kind of ailment. They have only seen it once in a reference book apparently it is rare and a gradual thing which would explain why her eye's have not cleared. We are giving it another week if she is no better or it get's worse she is going into the hospital, she is still feeding well at the moment. The trouble is she may go blind but I really hope not.
Thank's Kev and Simon for your help.

Old 03-31-2002, 12:10 AM   #6
Gregg
Eye problems

Hi Lynn,

I am sorry to hear about your poor snake. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we are keeping our fingers crossed that she pulls through okay.

Of course everyone has their own home remedies, and I'm no exception. Try misting your snake's eyes with warm (tepid) water. I have one snake that seems to like it in his face, since he raises up to meet the spray whenever I mist his cage.

Check with you vet first, but in the book REPTILE KEEPER'S GUIDE: CORN SNAKES, by R.D. and Patricia Bartlett, p. 33, they suggest using a dab of mineral oil on stubborn brilles (eye caps).

What could it hurt? The alternative is unthinkable.

Good Luck. We're all with you.

Gregg

Old 03-31-2002, 02:03 AM   #7
Simon
Hope that everything goes well for you snake. Look on the bright side.....at least it's still eating. Don't worry too much, everything is going to be alright.

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

Old 03-31-2002, 02:06 AM   #8
lynn
Thank's Gregg but I thought it was because she was ready for a shed that she was cloudy but they said it look's like it is actually in the eye and not the cap's. Which is why she will go in the hospital next week if it has not cleared. The hospital is actually in the shop but they have a reptile vet who deals with any sick animals, so at least I don't need to go looking for a good vet. She actually likes being misted and she tend's to drink the water off her body even though I give her fresh water every day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google