CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding live to F/T babies ??

Old 02-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #91
beautifullywild77
We make sure our cattle have humane deaths before going to the slaughter house. Why not the mice we feed our snakes?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #92
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post

It [euthanasia] is without doubt the greatest, last gift of my field and I am fiercely jealous that a human with a terminal illness that is in unmanageable agony is not allowed the option for it. And if I would want it for *myself*... how inhumane of me to deny it to the mouse.
Best post ever...

Old 02-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #93
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Because we keep predators/carnivores as pets, that means that *something* must die for them to live. We keep them as a pet, which means we are morally obligated to provide sufficient care. This means feeding them.

So here we now have a mouse. It is alive. It is aware. It can feel pleasure, pain, fear, anger. It is going to die to feed a snake.

Here's the turning point: it can now either die in terror and agony and shock, or it can fall asleep and die without pain or fear.

If the snake will take F/T, the mouse should be given the kindness of a peaceful death. To claim that a peaceful death is 'inhumane' because we're still killing it is ludicrous. Do you also think that humane euthanasia for dogs and cats is actually "inhumane" because we're still killing them in the end?

Would you rather the cat getting its entire face eaten away by cancer die a 'natural' death? Or the puppy that got its skull crunched in by a larger dog biting him? Or the kitten that was so septic that its blood was the color of a strawberry milkshake?

I actively deal with death every single day I'm at work. I have euthanised quite a few pets as part of my job, including 6 week old kittens with pneumonia.

It is without doubt the greatest, last gift of my field and I am fiercely jealous that a human with a terminal illness that is in unmanageable agony is not allowed the option for it. And if I would want it for *myself*... how inhumane of me to deny it to the mouse.
We may not always agree on every little thing, but I respect the HELL out of you girl!!! You are good people

Old 02-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #94
ZoologyGirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7legion77 View Post
A lot of people think that giving the mouse a painless death is humane, but look, you're still killing it! Ending a life for the purpose of feeding our pet snakes, or supporting a industry that does this, can also be called inhumane.
What's funny is this sounds exactly like something PETA would say!! Very animal rights-ish. I know you are not PETA, I'm just saying you are using a nearly identical argument they would use.

Humane DOES/CAN refer to the killing of an animal in a HUMANE manner. Look into Temple Grandin for information on the HUMANE SLAUGHTER of animals that we humans eat...

http://grandin.com/
http://grandin.com/humane/rec.slaughter.html

I'm not sure why you are so hostile to the fact that many of us prefer to "humanely slaughter" the animals we give our snakes, as long as doing so doesn't harm the snake. (and by "harm the snake" I mean they still thrive just as well on F/T as they would on live)

Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #95
Naagas
^^^ Which is why PETA feels that it is justified in killing thousands of animals every year rather than have them kept in slavery as the pets of humans.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #96
beautifullywild77
I love Temple Grandin!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #97
Naagas
Temple came and spoke at our University... she is fantastic.

Did you know that she is autistic? And still got her Ph.D. and does so much good.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #98
ZoologyGirl
That would be cool. One of my professors from a few years ago (Patricia McConnell) is friends with Temple Grandin, I never seen her in person though. But I learned about her through that professor.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #99
beautifullywild77
Yes, I love the fact that she is Autistic and has a ph.d. Give all us parents with special needs kids hope!

Old 02-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #100
Outcast
I wish that I could meet Temple Grandin in person. I recently watched the movie that is based on her life. It is a very inspiring tale.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google