CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding live to F/T babies ??

Old 02-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
Sai_Keths
I agree, Kill them first, live or fresh killed have more nutrients than long term frozen. Euthanize the live pinkies and give them to your snake then.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
alpine
For some reason I knew I'd start a flame war for this topic. . I feed my snake live because I feel it is better for her. Many posts have been made about how there's no benefits to it, but would you prefer it if I were to serve you a steak freshly prepped this morning or one that's been sitting in my freezer for 6 months and in someone elses freezer for who knows how long. I'd go with the fresh food if it were up to me. I know of the risks, trust me, I know, but I'm not an idiot and I've watched every mouse my snake has killed up to the point where it's dead. Never had a problem.

I'm also only asking to feed live because I'm getting these pinkies for free, I don't have access to any CO2 setup to put em down humanely, don't want to put them in the freezer or want to flick em on the back of the head or whatever else way there may be to kill them real quick. This topic was made for my concern for my snakes, not the food I'm feeding it.

That being said, my concerns still go back to my snakes. All I'm really worried about is if they'll eat it or not. I suppose the only way to find out is to watch if they'll take it; if not than I'll know that much more about my snakes.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
beautifullywild77
Again, frozen food do not lose their nutrients in meat that is... My cousin who is a professor of meat science at the University of Arkansas has done study after study. I asked her about mice as well.

When you purchase from places online they dont got to a freezer and pick out your mice. They go to their live stock, humanely kill them flash freeze them and send them on their way.

If you knew this was going to start a flame war you should of used the research button and researched the number of threads already on this subject... Just sayin!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
beautifullywild77
Edit: The search button!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine View Post
This topic was made for my concern for my snakes, not the food I'm feeding it.
And we are answering not ONLY for the concern of your snakes, but also for the food, because the food has nerve endings, intelligence, and can feel both pain and fear. To put an animal (ANY animal) through that for no good reason makes you rather unlike most of us, who are animal lovers.

There is a definition for someone who hurts and tortures animals for no good reason......

Old 02-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
Christen
Quote:
For some reason I knew I'd start a flame war for this topic. . I feed my snake live because I feel it is better for her. Many posts have been made about how there's no benefits to it, but would you prefer it if I were to serve you a steak freshly prepped this morning or one that's been sitting in my freezer for 6 months and in someone elses freezer for who knows how long. I'd go with the fresh food if it were up to me. I know of the risks, trust me, I know, but I'm not an idiot and I've watched every mouse my snake has killed up to the point where it's dead. Never had a problem.
Of course you knew that it would cause a problem. "You never have a problem" till you do and it happens so fast that you can't stop a quick bite when your snake is curled around it. I know it happened to me. Believe me it in not worth the vet bills and possible loss of you snake. Free mice are great unless they come with a few hundred dollar vet bill. Then they are not so free.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
alpine
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
There is a definition for someone who hurts and tortures animals for no good reason......
So because I feed my snake live mice, your classifying me as someone who tortures animals for no good reasons? Got it. Not even really gonna answer that except with I work at a Veterinarian Hospital so don't sit there and hint that I'm "someone who hurts and tortures animals for no good reason......" when every day I go to work to help animals and save lives on a daily basis.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
ZoologyGirl
Quote:
I feel it is better
Do you have any evidence to back this up, besides just a feeling? Snakes thrive on F/T, and there is 0% chance of a dead mouse biting a snake.

Quote:
but would you prefer it if I were to serve you a steak freshly prepped this morning or one that's been sitting in my freezer for 6 months and in someone elses freezer for who knows how long. I'd go with the fresh food if it were up to me.
This is called anthropomorphism. Snakes and humans have completely different brains, and to compare the two is an error. That would be like saying, "how would you like to eat a mouse everyday? I know I wouldn't ever want to eat a mouse and would rather have ice cream and pizza, so that is what I'm going to feed my snake". Anthropomorphism makes your argument irrelevant.

I am not bashing you, merely stating the fallacies of your arguments. If you feel you need to feed your snake live for some reason, there is no way I can stop you. You say you know the possible issues with feeding live, so I don't need to go into them. However, as someone who prefers to feed F/T, I am not going to advocate feeding live, and I think that is what most people responding to you feel.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #19
starsevol
Quote:
So because I feed my snake live mice, your classifying me as someone who tortures animals for no good reasons? Got it. Not even really gonna answer that except with I work at a Veterinarian Hospital so don't sit there and hint that I'm "someone who hurts and tortures animals for no good reason......" when every day I go to work to help animals and save lives on a daily basis.
Regardless of where you work if you purposely put living creatures through pain and suffering FOR NO GOOD REASON, then it is what it is.

Your snakes will accept f/t food. So, there is no reason why they aren't eating that except for the reason that you think live is better for them.

And if you think live is better for them, then reason should dictate that fresh killed are just as good for them. So, nice people who buy into this and love animals make sure that the prey dies HUMANELY before feeding it out.
Pinkies and fuzzies are frozen, anything with fur either dispatched by cervical dislocation or CO2.

What you do for a living has nothing to do with doing the right thing in other aspects of your life. There is a rumour that Jack the Ripper was a doctor.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #20
alpine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoologyGirl View Post
Do you have any evidence to back this up, besides just a feeling? Snakes thrive on F/T, and there is 0% chance of a dead mouse biting a snake.

This is called anthropomorphism. Snakes and humans have completely different brains, and to compare the two is an error. That would be like saying, "how would you like to eat a mouse everyday? I know I wouldn't ever want to eat a mouse and would rather have ice cream and pizza, so that is what I'm going to feed my snake". Anthropomorphism makes your argument irrelevant.

I am not bashing you, merely stating the fallacies of your arguments. If you feel you need to feed your snake live for some reason, there is no way I can stop you. You say you know the possible issues with feeding live, so I don't need to go into them. However, as someone who prefers to feed F/T, I am not going to advocate feeding live, and I think that is what most people responding to you feel.
Well thanks Heather, I appreciate a civilized answer. I know you disagree with me, but thank you for not lashing out and hinting that I am a cruel person and a murderer. For now I believe I'll keep things the way they are with the 2 little ones of F/T and my big girl on her live. Perhaps I can't prove that she likes the live better, but I have noticed a positive change in her behavior since the switch. Once again, probably not enough evidence to satisfy everyone on the forum, but that's pretty unavoidable...

Sorry you disagree with me starsevol, but after the way you handled the whole situation I could really care less to what you have to say to me now. I know it's a heated topic and get's some worked up, but you should handle yourself better. Thanks for your opinion and the criticism.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google