CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Not sure what went on here with feeding tonight

Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
HermesMom
Not sure what went on here with feeding tonight

I've been feeding Hermes two pinkies, I'd say about medium sized for a while now and tonight tried to feed him one large. He wouldn't touch it, he smelled it and that was about it. I bought all the mice from the same guy, this is his first from a vacuum sealed bag and I did run it under water quick, which is also something I've never done with him. Would this be reason enough for him not to want it? I thought maybe the size had him fooled a bit, he's not always the brightest bulb lol, so I put a tiny slit in it's head... still, nothing. Will a snake not eat food if it "isn't right"? I threw out the large pinky and defrosted two of the med. sized pinkies and when I gave them to him, he gobbled them up just like usual. Any thoughts?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Nanci
Did the big one have hair? You could try the big one cut in half next time! Sometimes snakes are resistant to change...

Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
HermesMom
It didn't have hair. Great, leave it to him to be the finicky one.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
MotleyCrue
I have had corns refuse one mouse and take another. The only thing I could chalk it up to was smell. Both were fully white mice, so color wasn't a factor. Thankfully I have other snakes and didn't have to waste the mouse, but I believe they have "tastes".

Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
Nanci
Maybe he's going blue and you just can't tell yet! I have learned that with an established feeder, if they refuse out of the blue, it's best to not spend a lot of effort convincing them to eat, that night. I've been rewarded with regurges after giving a snake who initially refused more chances to eat, such as with reheats and leaving it with the food in the feeding container for an extended period. And the snake inevitable is blue when it regurges- I just couldn't tell at the time of feeding.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
vliberatore
My 2yr old corn did the same thing when i tried switching it up from medium to large mice. Won't touch the large but if I throw a medium one in, it is gone before it leaves my hand.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
hypnoctopus
I've had this happen once or twice. My snakes were getting two pinkies each and one evening my butter stripe only ate one of his and I was concerned. But when I checked on him in a few days, he was in blue.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
HermesMom
Maybe I'll try cutting in half next week and it's possible he's going into blue. Thanks guys

Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
HermesMom
It was a shed.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
Nanci
Interesting!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google