CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

weird dark spots?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Chibsters
weird dark spots?

Hey everyone! So last weekend I got a tiny baby snow corn and I noticed that it had these 2 dark spots along its scales. At first I thought maybe it was poops (according to the guy I got it from, the baby would have eaten 10 days ago now) but then thought it was weird that it was in two different spots. I took some really awful photos, and i'll try to take better ones, but any idea what it might be? I looked up scale rot but the scales don't seem to be turning brown or injured in any way. It really just looks like they are dark spots on the inside...any idea what they might be? I've tried to feed him 2 times now, and he has yet to eat since I've brought him home. If he refuses another f/t pinky, I think I'm going to try a live pinky to see if I could jump start some feedings that don't make me feel like he's starving

Old 06-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
susang
My next step would not be live.
You may be handling him to much at this point. Make sure the pinkie is very warm when you give it to him. Put the pinkie and snake in feeding tub cover leave him alone for an hour. Check to see if he ate. You could rewarm pinkie if he didn't and try zombie dance with tongs. My thought is he is very shy and needs privacy to eat. If he still refuses leave him alone for a few days before trying again.
The dark spots are his 'innards'.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Chibsters
oh wow really!? haha...if it was that simple...i feel so silly for even asking! I have been handling him often, but I guess I'm just really excited. He does seem very acclimated to his tank now...as I almost always find him out and about when I get in from work and in the evenings. Thank you for the advice...I'll give him a few days of no handling and try again with a f/t zombie pinky! hahaha

Old 06-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibsters View Post
oh wow really!? haha...if it was that simple...i feel so silly for even asking! I have been handling him often, but I guess I'm just really excited. He does seem very acclimated to his tank now...as I almost always find him out and about when I get in from work and in the evenings. Thank you for the advice...I'll give him a few days of no handling and try again with a f/t zombie pinky! hahaha
It's not a silly question. I wondered the same thing with my first snow. Once he settle in like 2 weeks or so and has eaten for you. You can' hold him up to a light or put a flash light by his cloaca, if he is a boy you should be able to see his hemipens. Very cool.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
diamondlil
Yep, in snows you can see the internal organs! And getting him feeding again is far more important than handling. If you get him feeding and growing you've got 15 or more years ahead to enjoy seeing him growing up.
So.....first off no handling at all for a week, then pop him in a deli overnight with a thawed pink, no peeking at all until the morning. If he doesn't feed, repeat step 1. If he does feed, still repeat step 1, no handling at all in between the first few feeds. Corns are incredibly tolerent but at this stage in his life his instincts are telling him that the whole world is out to kill him!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
Chibsters
Haha, I thought my corn was cool...but now it's even cooler that i can see his organs ! Thanks for the advice diamond...i promise no handling for a while and i'll keep you guys posted when he finally eats!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
Nanci
You know what's really cool with a light-colored snake. If you hold it up to a bright light (not too hot!!!) you can see the lung breathing :-) I've even had babies with clear belly scales over the heart area!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
HermesMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
You know what's really cool with a light-colored snake. If you hold it up to a bright light (not too hot!!!) you can see the lung breathing :-) I've even had babies with clear belly scales over the heart area!
Now that is cool. Hmm, I wonder which of my snows I should harass for this

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google