• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Broken tail

Making a run for it... lol

Jan3120130007_zps618fda5e.jpg

Jan3120130004_zpsb9ad56a9.jpg

0009_zps673b5eaa.jpg

Oh that's not nearly as awful as I imagined it! Barring any sort of infection I think that she'll do great!! My butter is missing about the same amount of her tail, though it was like that when I got her.

After the soak.
You can see the dead "skin" off her belly scales that I thought the soak could help with. Her underbelly was all like that & clear dead scales had been flaking off for the past few days prior to the photos.
Jan3120130025_zps490fe9e5.jpg

Jan3120139997_zpsdd4838e3.jpg

You can see the white film of dead skin covering the tail as it was drying after the soak & the blue iridescent hue along her body.
Jan3120130045_zps1cfe3706.jpg

Jan3120130050_zpsb77d24ae.jpg

More recent photos to come...

Thanks AliCat37, means a lot!

First aid is ingrained into me so... but I'm not a snake person yet, I'm a total newb with them. And when the vet saw it (tail) & said "possible amputation"; a "ugh, yeah, the vent"; "high possibility of necrosis"; "she could make it if it all goes well" etc well you hang on to those last words & it becomes a mission doesn't it? ;) Especially when your kid is there with the two of you sinking everything in (ok so he's almost 18yrs old & he's 6ft 3in... but still)

It still looks pretty bad! But I thought she had de gloved it o.e I would say, in my unprofessional opinion, that if the last part of the tail post the vent doesn't get worse, she'll be okay. I should take some pics of Soleil's tail.

We're speculating that to have had it wedged that far up the tail, the cat must have been involved. Plus we never found the tail. That little bit sticking out is bone & there is still a lump up on one of the saddles. At first I thought it was a blood blister.

So you can see why I keep asking what & how much can I do. Too much moisture (cream or water) & it can promote rot. Not enough moisture & it dries out & cracks, so it could bleed & cause issues...

*bangs head on desk*

Give me a mammal anytime & I'm fine but a reptile...

Ok the latest photos from a couple of days ago. Really showing signs of going in the blue stage.

Feb 4
IMG_0058_zpse66ce245.jpg

IMG_0059_zpse52ea914.jpg

IMG_0071_zps2a651230.jpg

IMG_0064_zpseb956b9b.jpg

IMG_0065_zps158af212.jpg

IMG_0078_zpsaa052d0a.jpg

IMG_0074_zpse3fd64c2.jpg

IMG_0087_zpsf627f155.jpg

Hope these help show the progress. I'll be taking more photos today. :)

First, she's lovely. Cool pattern and such bright reds!
Second. And I preface thus by saying I have one snake, that I've owned for less than a year. So, take my opinion for what its worth. But I wouldn't soak her now while she's in the blue. I'd give her a moist hide (tupperware with lid and hole with damp paper towel or moss). If she doesn't shed completely, which is likely with the tail situation), then I'd do the soak and get the remaining shed off.
My reasoning is that the soak is stressful during a time that they tend to want to be left alone, and you don't want to swing to the otherside of things and keep her too wet that you have scale rot issues.
I'm sure she's gonna be fine, because you are doing so much to take great care of her. Good job!

Thanks Becca. :) She wasn't blue when we soaked her. First time, I hadn't made her go through the cloth & I know I didn't do the soaking perfectly (first time ever soaking a snake), she was still losing clear scales (belly) which is why we tried it a second time 24hrs later & then that was it. It's an odd thing to watch because you are told that the trauma will illicit a shed but you are not told what kind of shed. So this was not at all going with what we are used to regarding her normal sheds. And with mammals, we know that many times that dead skin needs to come off so you don't get proud flesh. Based on knowing that & also knowing that you can't force or physically help remove the dead skin or scab on a reptile, & you don't want to provoke rot or respiratory issues, it's a tough call or situation to be in when it's the very first time being faced with it. Anyhow...

Pics from today before we applied the poly. She loved my husband's tweed cap & was rubbing her face on it as if to start a shed. She only did it a little & we noticed some little flecks of shed juuuuust starting. She was very active & curious. She had also stayed on her UTH either under the paper towel or in her hide. Her eyes are nice & clear & her colouring was brighter.

0135_zpsb1b55d6a.jpg
0140_zps1f7a9108.jpg
0138_zps625eeb16.jpg
0113_zpsf175a91d.jpg

Not too sure what to do now except apply lots of AB cream (poly) to her tail. When I went to check up on her at 12:30 pm today, it looked like she really needed to shed, she looked like someone had clear coated her & it was too dry on her (don't think I'm explaining it correctly). I wanted to record it but the battery was dead on the camera (for stills) & the phone video card was full.

So we spritzed the viv (like we've been doing to raise the humidity) & put a damp towel (soaked it & really wrung it) & put it on the floor of the viv. She was rubbing herself all over it, going around like an accordion, going through the side folds, rubbing her nose etc & she had a good pee & poo. Pee were crystalized (?) & little pea sized dark green poo. After a while she decided to go hide under it near her UTH, so we left her there for an hour. My plan was to get that tail some hydration in the less intrusive way possible. After that hour, we replaced the towel with new paper towel, spritzed it so it was just damp & left her alone in her hide.

I went to check in on her at 3:50pm & she was under the paper towel on her UTH & I saw she had shed & it was all in a ball stuck to the side of her hide (she went between it & the glass wall). It wasn't an easy shed, one section of the belly was missing but it looks like it's because it got all twisted & rubbed (like when you rub dead skin from a sunburn between your hands). The shed broke off at the scab part of the tail & it's still there gloved over the tip. She was bleeding & when I checked the shed, it was still moist enough that I was able to pull it back to normal (it was like a rolled up sock), so figured it's still fresh & prepared her a bath in the tote to see if it could help with the tail. I ended up leaving her one hour in there but the scab is too thick & still healing & it would not come off (I did NOT try to pry it off! I gently felt the resistance when she went through the towel just enough to feel). When it started to dry, it was catching somehow & poor babe was very stressed about it! She went in my hair (it's long enough) & calmed down (oooookay:confused:) but when I went to take her out, the tail got tangled (of course) & it made her bleed a bit. She then hid in my sleeve with the tail dangling out, she calmed down right away so I took the opportunity & applied the poly.

I figure I'll just try to keep the tail moist with a few applications a day until we see the vet on Tuesday. That's a deep scab, though I was hoping it would slough off, I'm not surprised it wasn't ready to.

I'm wondering if tomorrow would be a good idea to offer her food?

Photos to come soon... (charging the battery a bit more)

The shed. It broke off at the vent & measured 20"
0154_zps395e51db.jpg

Soaking
0163_zpsb0107045.jpg

0170excellentshot_zps0ea41f63.jpg

0161_zps765b9ff5.jpg

0159_zps3a7d6dab.jpg

When drying it got caught a bit.
Right side
Looking at the pics close up, that's the same area that was bleeding when I decided to put her in the water. In the first close up shot of it in the water, you can see the area washed off. The the big scab did try to come off. It's the tip itself that's really not ready/healed enough.
0188_zps6d6a21ba.jpg

Left side
0190_zps22f4c6c1.jpg

Strangely in this situation, I think the end of the shed being stuck on the wound might actually help you. In a healthy tail, we recommend removing the stuck shed as it will cut off the blood supply and cause the tip to die and drop off. But in your position, this is exactly what you want to happen. By leaving the stuck bits of shed(s), the injured part will naturally dry up and drop off. It might just be a case of keeping the injured area clean, dry and uninfected and just making sure that sheds are successful as far as the injury. It will look a bit unsightly for a few months as the sheds build up, but it might do the trick.

One of mine had an operation which left her with stitches along two inches of her belly. The stitches dissolved, but shedding was a problem around the wound. For the first couple of sheds I tried to make sure the shed came off around the wound, but just ended up opening it in places. I then left the shed to build up, making sure that it came off everywhere else. After four more sheds, the entire area of stuck shed came away, revealing a nice clean, neat scar.

I think if you keep working to get the end of the shed off, you'll probably keep reopening the wound. Nature might very well have the answer for you.

Strangely in this situation, I think the end of the shed being stuck on the wound might actually help you. In a healthy tail, we recommend removing the stuck shed as it will cut off the blood supply and cause the tip to die and drop off. But in your position, this is exactly what you want to happen. By leaving the stuck bits of shed(s), the injured part will naturally dry up and drop off. It might just be a case of keeping the injured area clean, dry and uninfected and just making sure that sheds are successful as far as the injury. It will look a bit unsightly for a few months as the sheds build up, but it might do the trick.

One of mine had an operation which left her with stitches along two inches of her belly. The stitches dissolved, but shedding was a problem around the wound. For the first couple of sheds I tried to make sure the shed came off around the wound, but just ended up opening it in places. I then left the shed to build up, making sure that it came off everywhere else. After four more sheds, the entire area of stuck shed came away, revealing a nice clean, neat scar.

I think if you keep working to get the end of the shed off, you'll probably keep reopening the wound. Nature might very well have the answer for you.
I'd agree, although my area of expertise is obviously in healing up people, but I can see how your experience and advice makes sense, Bitsy. Leaving the area to dry and die is exactly what we have to do sometimes with necrotic toe and finger-tips where diabetes has affected the nerves and blood supply so healing isn't going to happen until the dead tissue sloughs away.

Last edited:
Makes total sense. I guess my question is: do I leave it be versus applying antibiotic cream to it to keep it from cracking & bleeding again? (will applying the cream hinder or help?)

And what if, at Tuesday's vet appointment I get told it needs to be surgically removed? Do I grab the snake & run or let the vet take it off?

To me it looks like the end is going to dehisce and drop off if it's allowed to dry out. I wouldn't worry too much about the fresh blood, that shows that there is a supply to what will be healing tissue. If the vet feels taking off the end and popping a stitch in there would help and you've got the funds, I'd say go for it. The dead tissue is a potential source of infection until it does drop off, and it's not just a tiny tail-tip like you could commonly see after incomplete sheds

I'd take the vet's advice as well - no harm suggesting the shed trick to him but I'd go with removal if that's what he suggests. His advice and your care have done the trick thus far and you've done well to keep the stump uninfected.

Whilst there's an open wound I'd carry on using the cream unless the vet advises otherwise.

You're doing a great job, BREATHE! I'd be a nervous wreck if it was one of my snakes, but this forum is such a great community for support and advice, we're all rooting for you!

I don't think you're out of the woods by a ways yet, As long as there's an open wound, it's a potential route for infection and that could affect the vent. However you've certainly managed the injury to a much better state than I ever imagined when I saw it was that significant.

Breathe - just because you're doing so well!

Back