CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Sad Accident. Advice?

Old 01-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #21
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess
I've been away for a little while so I've not been on the site and missed this all. I'm so sorry to hear about the little guy and hope he has a full recovery. We all know that your snakes get top notch care and that accidents will sometimes happen all the same. One of my snakes got dropped by a friend from about 4' as a hatchling and slithered spasmodically for a few minutes afterwards...2½ years on, she's grown up to be a beautiful big fattie who performs at 100%...even though at the time I was sure she was a goner.
Thanks Adèle. Glad yours survived its ordeal unscathed. I'm just very pissed at myself. I know it was an innocent mistake, but making a mistake that harms one of my pets, possibly permanently, is really disappointing. Heck, I get depressed for hours and hours over regurges and refusals! If he dies, or is permanently disfigured, I'm not sure if I'll ever stop kicking myself. Well, it's a waiting game now; what's done is done.

Old 01-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #22
bribrian
Oh no, sorry to hear that, hope the little mite recovers & leads a healthy life. I'm sure you're gutted that you caused it but remember accidents do happen & we're all human. Hopefully it'll come out in the next couple of days ok & hissing & snarling & bite your hand, just for revenge purposes..... Fingers crossed...............

Old 01-08-2006, 05:42 PM   #23
psyhodad
Ah Dean, don't beat yourself up over this. It's an unfortunate accident that wasn't done intentionally. It can happen to the best of us, no matter how diligent we are. I hope everything works out for the little guy, and you as well. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on his recuperation.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #24
Susan
I'm so sorry Dean to hear about the accident. But as it has already been mentioned, these little critters have some amazing recuperative powers. Give the little one some time and lots of TLC. I'm praying for you both.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:42 AM   #25
zwyatt
Sorry to hear this, Dean.

Thought I'd share a story:
Back in September (?) I had a hatchling that got stuck to some tape that was stupidly (and unknowingly) above his tub in my rack. The tape had come unstuck and he had climbed up and gotten stuck. It happened a day or two days after he arrived and I gave him 5 days to settle in. So he was probably stuck for 2-3 full days. When I took him out on the 5th day the situation was pretty ugly, at least 80% of his body was fastened to the tape including the top of his head. I was scared to death when I peeked in and saw him, but thankfully when I touched him he moved. I felt like the most irresponsible person alive. Today all you can see is small patch behind his head that looks like retained shed, but it never comes off or changes. Other than that he's 100% healthy.

Though, we never have made up completely. He still enjoys a good tail rattle most times when I open up is tub.

Best wishes that everything turns out for the best.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:26 AM   #26
SnakeAround
Wish you strength coming days! I can feel the stomach ach you described!

Old 01-09-2006, 06:06 AM   #27
CornCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyhodad
It's an unfortunate accident that wasn't done intentionally. It can happen to the best of us, no matter how diligent we are.
Lee is 100% correct on this statement. I'd be willing to bet that most of us have had some sort of "accident." I know I have. I had a beautiful white-sided rat snake that attempted to dart out of his tub right as I pushed it into place in the rack. His head got squished (hard enough that I heard a cracking noise). I saw it before I pushed the tub all the way in or I would have killed him outright. Anyway, he started to have trouble digesting his food after that. He had never had any problems before, so I think I damaged the "digesting" part of his brain. I eventually euthanized him. I am still disgusted with myself, although I know it was an accident.

I have seen similar accidents with a few snakes at work. Some of them had permanent kinks due to the trauma and others got better. If yours has a permanent kink, it is possible for him to have an otherwise normal life. Good luck with him!

Old 01-09-2006, 08:02 AM   #28
Mary-Beth
I'm so sorry Dean.
Praying everything turns out OK.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:33 AM   #29
Roy Munson
Thanks for the support, and the stories, guys. I really appreciate it. If the "actual" communities we belong to could be as supportive, and helpful as this virtual community, the world would be a much better place. You guys are awesome. I'll keep you posted on poor Bill. -Dean

Old 01-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #30
Lavagirl
Hi there. So sorry to hear about your accident. I can tell you really care about your guys and of course that's why you feel so bad. I would too. But hey, even the most careful and kind people make mistakes. I remember my mom accidentally shutting the car door on my leg as a child thinking both legs were in the vehicle. And back in the day, car doors were super heavy. Nothing was broken and I lived. I hope the snake will be just fine.

I have to ask, though....when you wrote that you got out the bag, what does that mean? I'm new to snakes so....sorry for the dumb question.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google