CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Getting Discouraged

Old 05-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #31
BeckyG
I don't think it is the pinkies themselves. She was eating from this batch before she started regurging, and my other baby about the same age is also eating from this batch and hasn't regurged a lick.

BUT I got some baby food chicken today, and that is what I'll be feeding her for a while. I just need to get some feeding tubes now. The vet wasn't in when I went by there, but I found some on Bean Farm and will be ordering them today. I don't know where I could find powdered eggs--used to get them from WIC, but my son is too old for that now.

Diamondlil, thank's for the tip. I will try that. Scarlett still eats eagerly, she just can't keep it down.

Thanks everyone for the advice and support. Scarlett is peeking out at me from her hide. I've got to go change her water now...

Old 05-02-2006, 05:23 PM   #32
Cflaguy
Good luck Becky

And I would probably quarantine her. Check the stools for worms. If your vet can, get him a sample of the stool and see if he can have it analyzed. Take advantage of all the Nutirbac and other remedies you can.
One old time remedy I (from some old, old snakemen) use to do (usually someone comes along and chastises me for these but I'll tell ya anyway), at the first sign of a problem I would immediately remove the water bowls two days prior to feeding. Mix up a solution of 1 gallon water/tablespoon of bleach. Put the water bowl back in just after the feeding and leave overnight, replace with fresh water. Don't be surprised if that feeding is also a regurge. This remedy had moderate success I'll admit. I saved a few, lost a few.
And BTW, my bloodred is an eating machine.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #33
BeckyG
She is already quarantined, and has been since the day I got her, about 6 weeks ago. She is in a room by herself, and I always wash my hands after handling any of my snakes. I see nothing amiss with her stools, except for being rather small, and she'd already been wormed prior to her fourth regurge. And thanks for the tip about depriving her of water then giving her bleach water, but I think it would be too late to try something like that. The first sign of a problem was a month ago--April 2nd was the date of her first regurge. I don't think she'd survive a fifth regurge, and don't want to risk it.

Oh and Scarlett is an eating machine, too. She eagerly scarfs everything I offer, she just can't hold it down.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:50 PM   #34
recycling goddess
i'm so sorry to read this becky i have no advice... just love and hugs to send your way!

(((hugs)))

Old 05-03-2006, 05:08 PM   #35
BeckyG
Thank you, RG. I'll keep you updated. Right now I'm still waiting for the feeding tubes to arrive. But last night, she was out and about as usual, cruising her little viv.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #36
recycling goddess
i don't know if this is really bad advice or not... but here goes anyways...

have you thought about not feeding her for a couple of weeks... nothing at all. and then attempting to feed? perhaps if she gets nice and hungry she'll take it down (and with it injected and perhaps split to increase digestability) she'll keep it down?

off to read the pages of this entire thread again as perhaps this has already been discussed (i can't remember right now if it has)

aleesha

Old 05-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #37
dionythicus
I have to wonder if she has a congenital problem with her stomach, maybe it's too small or not developed well enough to handle proper digestion? It's possible that this isn't bacterial/viral. She may have a physical problem that prevents her from digesting properly. Just a thought.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #38
recycling goddess
obviously my suggestion is not a good idea since you have switched to liquid feedings... how did i not remember that? sorry,... too many things going on in my mind at once.

sorry,
aleesha

Old 05-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #39
BeckyG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionythicus
I have to wonder if she has a congenital problem with her stomach, maybe it's too small or not developed well enough to handle proper digestion? It's possible that this isn't bacterial/viral. She may have a physical problem that prevents her from digesting properly. Just a thought.
I've wondered about this as well, and have thought that it may be something like this. Yes, she is 8 months old, and has been eating fine up until this last month, but I also know that sometimes congenital defects take a while to show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycling goddess
obviously my suggestion is not a good idea since you have switched to liquid feedings... how did i not remember that? sorry,... too many things going on in my mind at once.

sorry,
aleesha
No need to apologize. I appreciate knowing that you're pulling for us. I did try something like you suggested, in that I waited 10 days (twice) between feedings, cut the mice pretty deeply, and used Nutribac and the medicine the vet gave me. She never hesitates to eat the pinky. She just gives it back after a day.

I'm afraid if the liquid feedings don't work, I'll lose this baby.

Some folks at the vet's office made fun of me for bringing a snake in. They'd probably laugh even more if they knew this situation has reduced me to real, physical tears more than once. But I know the people here understand, and no one would laugh at me for going through all this for "just a snake."

Thanks for being here.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #40
recycling goddess
i aspire to be as good a crittermama as you are! i think the fact you've shed tears shows how much you care... and let's face it... those people at the vet's office should be alot more loving to animals if they are going to work there!!! obviously they don't understand how important it is for a snake to NOT regurge... how much it harms them.

that said, i am sending so many healing, healthy vibes to your little girl... let's all cross everything we can in hope that she keeps down her liquid food.

(((hugs)))

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google