CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Getting Discouraged

Old 05-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #51
schilsound
It just seems sad to me. . . the situation at your vet's office reminds me of a lot of close-minded people I seem to encounter. I work in any number of towns and states, and I am constantly surprised at the things I hear people saying- much of it from old aquaintences or coworkers.

I grit my teeth and remember not everyone has grown up like I did, and that families can form some odd opinions, personal experience can lead to bias, etc etc. Race, creed, morals and other strictures are not always accomidating of "diffference among men".

. . . but for someone whose business [or employment] depends upon taking care of someone elses' animals that sort of behavior seems shortsighted, ugly, and just plain ignorant.

I am glad to hear about the liquid feedings- maybe she'll get a chance to grow and expand past her possible congenital defect. I sure hope so because I admire the way you've been taking care of this animal; very very lucky to have an owner like you.

I only wish more people got it. GL with her. . .

Old 05-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #52
Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyG
... Dogs are pets. Cats are pets. But snakes are NOT. ...(quoted from some moron in the vet's office)
If you need a snappy, bitchy response: And in some parts of the world, dogs and cats are food. ... There, I feel better now. (Don't get me wrong, my cats rule the house, run my life, and I wouldn't trade them for the world.)

WooHoo for you and baby-snake! Between you and DiamondLil, it's a tough choice for "Mother of the Year."

Old 05-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #53
BeckyG
Kitty, good response. I wish I'd thought of that at the time!

Anyway, I'm home from work now and still no regurge. It's been about 42 hours now. And I got a POOP!

Scarlett did something really strange when she woke up this afternoon. It actually looked like she was trying to regurge. Her whole body was lifted off the bottom of the viv and undulating a bit. She opened her mouth really wide and kind of thrust her head forward. She did this twice, but nothing came out either time. After that, she began crawling about as normal and kind of rubbing her head against the sides like they do to begin a shed. She hasn't been blue that I've noticed. Now she's just chilling. Could she have been trying to regurge, or just stretching from her nap?

Any ideas?

Old 05-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #54
Cflaguy
Keep us posted

My fingers are crossed.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:30 PM   #55
recycling goddess
so have you done another liquid feed? how'd it go?

i'm so glad to hear she's kept the first one down AND pooped!!!

Old 05-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #56
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyG
Scarlett did something really strange when she woke up this afternoon. It actually looked like she was trying to regurge. Her whole body was lifted off the bottom of the viv and undulating a bit. She opened her mouth really wide and kind of thrust her head forward. She did this twice, but nothing came out either time. After that, she began crawling about as normal and kind of rubbing her head against the sides like they do to begin a shed. She hasn't been blue that I've noticed. Now she's just chilling. Could she have been trying to regurge, or just stretching from her nap?

Any ideas?
I've only seen a couple of regurges as they occurred, and what you described are exactly the disturbing motions that accompanied them. How's she doing?

Old 05-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #57
isobel
god, i have been on the edge of my seat reading this post. sounds good so far.
I hope she is doing well Becky

good luck
isobel

Old 05-13-2006, 05:38 PM   #58
BeckyG
She is doing well. She has kept down her last three liquid meals, and I haven't seen her doing the regurging behavior again either. She could have done it while I wasn't watching, but if so, nothing came out. She appears to be gaining some strength, too. At least she seems harder to hold when I am feeding her.

I'll continue with the liquid feedings for a few more weeks, then try a pinky head. If she holds that down, I'll feed her heads for a couple more feedings, then slowly work my way back up to whole pinkies. If she regurges again, then it's back to liquid feedings for a few more weeks. And so on, and so forth...

Thanks everyone for the support you have given me during this. I have hope now that she will make it.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:34 PM   #59
recycling goddess
this is such GREAT news becky... i'm soooooooooo pleased to hear this! keep up the great snakemama work!

Old 05-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #60
Cflaguy
Good news

Glad to hear it. Continued good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google