CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

help please scale concerns

Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
khaleah
help please scale concerns

I had found lil black/grey mites on her I got some mite stuff for her and scrubbed her tank last week. She ate good on Sat. N kinda noticed her scales were kinda rough. But today when I checked on her n took her out I noticed this kind of pruney look to the scales by her head and found 3 more mites. I'm very worried. I gave her a "bath" but she started freaking out after 15 mins. Popped in it too. So I took her out. Please I don't know what to do for her. Or what it might be? No ragged edges just raised n dented. No color change n her warm side is 75 n cool side is 65.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
bitsy
Warm side on the floor needs to be 85 - that'll help her recover from whatever the problem is. Mites don't cause skin problems of that order, that fast, so I think you have two different issues. What mite treatment did you use?

Old 06-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
diamondlil
Maybe the mite treatment was a little bit strong for her skin? Mites can travel quite far so wiping down the surfaces around the tank and the floor will help control them without directly affecting the snake

Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
khaleah
Hi an update so I got her a new tank while the other one is soaking in a bleach bath of 2tbs per 10gallons washed down intire area around her talk with the mite be gone stuff the bottle is at home can't remember the name off hand. Took her to my local petstore to be checked out by the snake guy mike. He asked what her hide was made out of. N it was a coconut shell he said take a good look at it an see if she had been rubbing on it a lot and sure enough the back side of it was rubbed really good. I added a heat lamp back to her tank last night to get it to 85 on the warm side. Mike said that the dented scales looked like they were damaged cause of the rubbing. Coconut hide is now in the trash and she has more mite meds on her. Thank u for all ur help.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
khaleah
Ok anouther update for all that have read this tread. She shed Sat night scales look much better. Checked on her again last night n she is mite free finally!!! Yay!!! Tank temp is up to 85 on the warm side now n she seems alot happier now. Thank you all so much.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
AliCat37
How are you measuring your temperature? You should only need either a UTH or a heat lamp, not both. In either case, glad that she is doing better!

Old 07-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
khaleah
I have a digital one that I have sitting on the warm side. The uth keeps it at about 75 but no hotter.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google