CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

crypto out break at work

Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
cornbreadandmilk
crypto out break at work

so apparently we got in a well infest leopard gecko that had crypto we sold it without knowing. so what are some preventive measures i can do do make sure my snakes dont catch it. i have peroxided my arms lol . any tips for what to do at work? i guess contain animals and clean cages. anything else?

Old 05-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
crotalis40741
The only thing I know of that kills crypto on surfaces and your skin is amonia. Do a water and amonia mix and wash your hands in that. I would say peroxide made the little beasties giggle lol

Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
cornbreadandmilk
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalis40741 View Post
The only thing I know of that kills crypto on surfaces and your skin is amonia. Do a water and amonia mix and wash your hands in that. I would say peroxide made the little beasties giggle lol
oh see i read today peroxide worked but um ima still do as you say lol i dont wanna screw up

Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Lennycorn
Wow that sucks!! Imported???

Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
cornbreadandmilk
so can it get on my cloths?

Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
cornbreadandmilk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennycorn View Post
Wow that sucks!! Imported???
i honestly dont no where they got it from. they got it when i was gone

Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
crotalis40741
Not sure on the clothes part. I have not heard of using peroxide but when I was dealing with some snake issues here the consensus agreed on amonia mix. Did they do a test on the gecko and confirm crypto? As I have just learned blastocystis seems to mimic the sypmtoms of crypto.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
cornbreadandmilk
well heres the whole story today at work these guys came in who had bought it from us. (it was sickly when we got it, the person we got it from said it had just laid eggs and that they all look like that afterwords ....... well i wasnt there they wont let me mess with the reptile order sadly they prefer the incompetent. )anyways the guys brought it to the vet because it wouldnt get better and the vet diagnosed crypto. we refunded the money but allowed them to keep it..... but anyways it switched around to various tanks so prolly spread to everything.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
crotalis40741
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbreadandmilk View Post
well heres the whole story today at work these guys came in who had bought it from us. (it was sickly when we got it, the person we got it from said it had just laid eggs and that they all look like that afterwords ....... well i wasnt there they wont let me mess with the reptile order sadly they prefer the incompetent. )anyways the guys brought it to the vet because it wouldnt get better and the vet diagnosed crypto. we refunded the money but allowed them to keep it..... but anyways it switched around to various tanks so prolly spread to everything.
I would be curious to see if they sent out specimens and did an actual test on it or just based it on visual. A friend got some snakes a while back and one looked like it had crypto and died, The vet diagnosed crypto on visual inspection but sent samples out to be tested. They came back negative on a PCR test. They are being treated for blastocystis with antibiotics now.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
cornbreadandmilk
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalis40741 View Post
I would be curious to see if they sent out specimens and did an actual test on it or just based it on visual. A friend got some snakes a while back and one looked like it had crypto and died, The vet diagnosed crypto on visual inspection but sent samples out to be tested. They came back negative on a PCR test. They are being treated for blastocystis with antibiotics now.
oo wow i am going to call work now and ask them to attain said gecko hopefully they will or atleast give me the number to the guys who had the thing

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google