CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Suddenly not hungry

Old 07-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Daniel
Suddenly not hungry

I have 6 corns. All are adults. One of the 2 year old animals has dramatically changed his feeding habits. Ordinarily he attacks an FT adult mouse with vim & vigor, constricts it for awhile, then gulps it down. Three weeks ago he SUDDENLY stopped being hungry. The most I can get him to eat is one or two pinkies, if I'm lucky. I've tried standard tricks like leaving him covered in a dark room with the food, wiggling and waggling the food as if it was alive, etc., but no luck.

I'm worried that he will lose weight and become sick! Any thoughts?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Dakota314
Three weeks isn't a lot of time at all for a corn, or any snake for that matter, to go without food. It sounds like a breeding thing, even though it is a little late in the season. I would just leave him be for now, and try feeding him again in a week or two. If he still refuses don't push it, just wait another week and try again. Make sure the mouse it HOT when you offer it; it will encourage him to eat.

Just to make sure it is the breeding season, what are your temps and what are you measuring them with?

Old 07-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
MotleyCrue
You should also record his weight regularly over the next few weeks. Snakes can go many weeks without food, without harm, as long as they are not losing weight.
2 year old male? I would say first breeding season behaviour for him.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Janome
My male ghost corn was on a hunger strike for few weeks. Also roaming his cage. He finally calmed down an ate for me the other day. Yours will be fine.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
Lyion
Try to feed as your normally do. Don't offer more than usual.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google