CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Adult male, 2 month hunger strike

Old 07-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
xStaticSnow
Adult male, 2 month hunger strike

My adult snow male has not eaten in the past two months. He looks thin to me but not dangerously so... he has been very active lately but has settled down some in the past couple weeks. He's rubbed one of the scales off of the top of his head and his last shed was patchy (he has never shed in one piece since I've had him). I usually place my snakes in a bin with a F/T mouse and leave them in a dark quiet room for an hour. He use to be my most reliable eater but went off food earlier this winter and again this spring. I expect it's a result of breeding season. Every time I place him in his bin with the food he has defecated a small amount of dark brown feces along with plenty of liquid and urates. It usually has a bad smell like you would expect.

I've been trying to not let myself get worried but the fact that he keeps using the bathroom in the bin (never in his viv though) has me worried something could be wrong internally with him. I just got done treating my rosy boa for a RI at the vet so I would like to avoid another vet bill if at all possible.

I can post pictures of the snake if anyone would like to see him. I don't have a weight for him but he's about 3'10" long last time I measured him and he's supposedly 7 years old. I got him as a "rescue" from a girl on craigslist a year ago and he was a little thin when I got him last year too. It took a few weeks before I got him eating when I first got him, that was early last summer.

Thank you!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Nanci
He's just pooping in the feeding bin because instead of laying around hiding, he's moving and trying to get out. It makes them go. Mine do that sometimes, and there are some that do it every time.

If you're worried about him not feeding, you could try a rat pink a week after your last attempt. Then I'd just offer a small mouse- a fuzzy or hopper- every couple weeks. He should start feeding again in a month or two, unless something is drastically wrong.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
taxman123
I have a few males that go off feed during breeding season then they always go back on. If they start looking to thin I will force feed. Also like Nanci said try offering him smaller meals. As far as poop in the feed bin it happens I wouldnt worry about that to much when they dont poop at all then you have to worry. Good Luck keep us posted how he is doing.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
xStaticSnow
Okay looks like I'm worrying more than I should be... again. I need to learn to stay calm when these things happen, since they seem to happen quite often with my snakes. I'm just worried he will keep getting thinner and I wont be able to tell when he's "too thin." He's still very active at night and last night he was dumping over his hides and burrowing for hours. His temps are good so he must still be looking for a mate. I hope he decides to eat pretty soon. I'll see if I can find any rat pinks at a pet store nearby but I don't remember ever seeing them before.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
bitsy
You could probably try just something like a fuzzy or a small mouse. Sometimes a food item smaller than their usual diet can tempt them to start eating again. For some reason they occasionally find larger food off-putting after a period of fasting. Maybe becuase their digestion needs to gear back up slowly?

I'd take his continuing to poop as a good sign as well. His system is still ticking over.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
xStaticSnow
Well I have both fuzzies and weanlings in the freezer right now. I just tried to feed him yesterday so I'll wait a week and try again with one of the smaller mice. My rosy boa has been sick/on a hunger strike/shedding for the past month and a half and last night he finally ate a fuzzy. He ignored the weanling I offered him but I'm happy he got something in his stomach so hopefully the corn will follow suit and eat something himself!

Old 07-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
Buzzard
We had one go 110 days(almost 4 months) this season... Glad to hear he ate for you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google