CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Reptilinks™ review

Old 01-02-2016, 01:12 AM   #11
DuxorW
We colubrid people are just the best

Old 01-02-2016, 01:13 AM   #12
claire.chapman11
Its true. I haven't found a forum full of friendlier and more helpful people anywhere

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk

Old 01-02-2016, 01:20 AM   #13
DuxorW
I went ahead and ordered some reptilinks, I'll try them on the members of my collection that are eating one day pinks to hoppers.

I wonder if feeding the mini links on the same schedule as a large pinky is actually bad. I know it is overkill but would it result in faster growth without any adverse effects? Hatchlings can't really get fat. And I imagine that they are easier to digest than whole prey, so I wouldn't think regurges would be an issue, unlike with feeding double pinks at that age. I suppose you might overwhelm their metabolism or stress their pancreas or something. I don't plan on experimenting with it since the whole point is to have to feed less, but it's interesting to speculate.

Edit: looks like I *will* be experimenting. That didn't take much!

Old 01-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #14
Karl_Mcknight
does anyone know if the snake strikes and coils these like they would do a mouse? And if so, will the casing bust creating a mess?

If your snake is a "strike and squeeze feeder" (as many of our snakes are) will these links present a problem?

Old 01-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #15
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
does anyone know if the snake strikes and coils these like they would do a mouse? And if so, will the casing bust creating a mess?

If your snake is a "strike and squeeze feeder" (as many of our snakes are) will these links present a problem?
This is a good question. Tango did manage to squeeze some of the innards out of his last mouse, though it did have a leg missing so it wouldn't have been difficult. Suppose we'll find out.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #16
daddio207
I always thought it was a good product idea when others produced them 20 years ago and again around ten years ago. Both of those companies found no viable market and stopped producing them. Both had done their due diligence in testing the sausages with reptiles.
Rats are so intelligent and make great pets. I always disliked using them for snake food.
I hope Reptilinks has success.

Thinking about it they would be perfect for my Tegus!

Old 01-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #17
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuxorW View Post
How do they compare price-wise with feeders?

The extremely unpleasant Facebook group "Ball Python Owners" banned mentioning this product by name, implied that anyone that used them were idiots that shouldn't own snakes if they couldn't feed them whole rodents, and made false claims such as that they were full of preservatives (the manufacturer says they contain no preservatives). I figure that if they are as cheap or cheaper than rodents, are nutritious, and are more convenient, then why not?
I think that they are a great way to give a variety of nutrition to your snakes! In the wild, these snakes do not just eat mice. The diet of strictly mice has to have some negative effect on them, I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Me too! I'm still going to send you some this month, and he said he'd be happy to send you extras as well.

How cool would that be? And for cats, too! Rabbit meat is excellent for kitties, and getting the extras too without the risks associated with eating bones? Yes please!

LOL!

I think a lot of the fear stems from the ill-fated Snake Steak Sausages, which started out as whole prey but moved to cheaper meat by-product filling, apparently when the owner fell ill and was no longer in control of the company. These sausages are 100% organic, locally-sourced whole prey. The only thing missing is the intestines, which could potentially mean a very minor vitamin deficiency, but guarantees someone doesn't get a link full of partly digested rabbit food. Gram for gram, they're cheaper for me than ordering from Layne Labs, but I also have the added bonus of not having to pay for shipping.

Also ball python groups are notoriously snotty.

I'm rethinking my idea of trying the links this feeding. Tango is deep in blue, and I'm not sure it's wise to upset his feeding routine just now.
Thanks, that would be great! Please tell him thank you for me!!
I think the die-hard BP folk are too serious, and get bent out of shape for the littlest things.
Some dog groups are ridiculous. I think anytime you get a large group of people together, they have different opinions, and some forget to be nice (some don't know that in the first place).

Quote:
I decided to look into them a bit more, and my impression is that the mini links are like feeding 2 pinkies instead of one (calorie wise) meaning you could feed one mini link half as often as you would one pinky. Likewise for the larger sizes. So it comes out as being much cheaper for me. I also order from Layne Labs as they have the best quality rodents I've ever ordered, but shipping here to Ohio is ridiculous for large orders (often exceeding $100.00). So the free shipping on orders over $200 saves me even more. I think I am going to try them out. I have one snake who is not growing and just regurged when I moved him to a small fuzzy. I think this might be a good way to get more calories into him in one meal in a small, easy-to-digest package.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of intestines in terms of nutrition. But the chicken and rabbit ones do contain the intestines of the chicken.
One of the things I like about LL is that I am on the west coast. When I bought from RP before, shipping was worse, of course.

Quote:
I went ahead and ordered some reptilinks, I'll try them on the members of my collection that are eating one day pinks to hoppers.

I wonder if feeding the mini links on the same schedule as a large pinky is actually bad. I know it is overkill but would it result in faster growth without any adverse effects? Hatchlings can't really get fat. And I imagine that they are easier to digest than whole prey, so I wouldn't think regurges would be an issue, unlike with feeding double pinks at that age. I suppose you might overwhelm their metabolism or stress their pancreas or something. I don't plan on experimenting with it since the whole point is to have to feed less, but it's interesting to speculate.
I'd like to see someone do a study. Honestly, I don't think it would be a problem for hatchlings. They need all the nutrition to grow. I'm sure they eat as much as they can in the wild, as babies, because the faster they grow, the less time they are food for some animals. They stand a better chance at surviving once they're bigger.

I think the reptilinks would probably very beneficial for them as babies.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #18
Tavia
A fairly large chunk of a semi local reptile group tried these awhile ago, some might still be feeding, I haven't heard an update, but it was talked about a lot soon after they got their orders. I think most had an average of 50% that would take it, some had nearly none of their animals willing and others nearly all, of course. It was a big mix of species, kings, various boas and BPs in the main. I know quite a few of the bigger snakes smashed them in coiling and make some pretty big messes. Most continued to eat it even ruptured but at least one BP burst his and then refused to eat it.

I'd like to try some and probably will at some point. But for me, they are a not insignificant amount more than an order to Layne.
Will be interested in reading your results though! I really want to try some of the mixed veggie ones for my Box turtles, who tend to like meat but often don't want to eat their needed greens. Might be a good, easy way to sneak some of that in to their diets.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #19
DuxorW
I didn't investigate the larger sizes, but mini links are $20.00 for 50 links, which is the caloric equivalent of about 100 3g pinks. 50 medium/large pinks are $15 on LL website, although a 100 pack is on sale for $25 dollars. So the reptilinks come out ahead slightly for me, especially with the added convenience of feeding half as often or feeding a smaller link at the same schedule. Plus I can stick them in the fridge a day or two before to thaw without grossing myself out.

I have about 30 or so animals that could be fed with the size links I bought. I suppose I could find some similarly sized animals and split them into 3 groups: fed normal pinky schedule, fed mini link half as often as the pinky schedule, and mini links fed at the same schedule as med/large pinks. I'll need to go weigh everyone but I'd like to have at least 3 snakes in each group to try and control for natural variability in growth rate.

I don't think I will ever use them for corns eating anything bigger than a hopper, but it seems like it has the potential to get babies out of that delicate hatchling stage faster, assuming they will eat them. I can always scent them with a frozen mouse.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #20
Dragonling
I have plans for a clutch that I will need to hold back for 6mo. or more before selling any of the offspring, but that won't be for a few years yet. Still I'd there haven't been many studies by then I will probably split them into 2 groups and do the same.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google