• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

See if I got it....

2i2_D3gr33s

I AM A:
Okay, so I've been doing some planning on future breeding, and I want to see if I'm correct in my analysis.

Let me begin with this question. How many different partners is it okay to breed a male with in a single season? I've read that even four or five times would be okay if the little man's up to it.

Anyway, I've got a male diffused, and plan on breeding him twice, once to a diffused, where I'll get all bloodreds.

The other, I'm planning on is a charcoal, which should give me all normals het diffused, het charcoal...right?

Then, If I then breed the siblings together, I should get about:
9/16ths normal (66% poss het. Bloodred, 66% poss het. Charcoal)
3/16 Bloodred (66% poss. het Charcoal)
3/16 Charcoal (66% poss. het Bloodred)
1/16 Pewter

Pewter is what I eventually want to get, but my question is this....How many generations is it okay to inbreed? I would like to pair the Gen 1 sibs together as many times as it takes to get a Male and Female Pewter. Now, by crossing these Gen 2 cousins (or siblings possibly) is this going to cause any problems?

Oh yeah, please correct me If any of my calculations are off.

Thanks guys.

Looks like your calculations are correct. There is always a slight risk of bringing bad genes to the surface when line-breeding, but sometimes, that is the only way to get the combination you're looking for. Your F2 breedings will more than likely turn out OK, but you have several years ahead of you before you get there. If possible, save a few dollars and purchase another corn to add to your breeding program...one that already has a head start to your ultimate goal, such as a pewter, bloodred het charcoal or charcoal het bloodred. These aren't overly expensive (generally around $200 for a hatchling) and you could get one to breed with your F1 generation and even an original adult from your pair. Even getting a normal het bloodred and charcoal from another line to breed with your F1 offspring is an option.

Susan said:
These aren't overly expensive (generally around $200 for a hatchling) and you could get

$200 for a hatchling bloodred het charcoal, or a pewter? If people are willing to pay that I might need to start powerfeeding my pewter to get him up to breeding weight asap!

OK...so I over-estimated a bit! Rather that than under-estimate! I've been looking at adult prices for awhile so I guess those numbers were stuck in my head. Rich sells bloodred het pewter hatchlings for $90 and pewter hatchlings for $100.

HAH! You guys think that's bad??? Here in b.c Canada a plain old snow can fetch $100 - $110 in the petshop I work at... I just bought an amber for $90 wholesale, which would mean in the shop we'd sell it for $180... Ug you guys are so FREAKIN' lucky!!

Rebecca

Back