• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My first lock

67temp

She has been out of brumation for close to a month now and has been in blue for the past 5 days and just went clear. We have a front coming through with the chance of snow so I figured it was worth a shot putting them together. The male has been pacing his tank a lot recently. This is my first attempt at breeding. The male is het charcoal and anery so I'm hoping the female proves to have some hets.

Attachments

• KIMG0066.JPG
    KIMG0066.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 125
  • KIMG0064.JPG
    KIMG0064.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 125
I was out of town for a few days. Even in blue he's still getting the job done. The pair is now up to 4 locks

Attachments

• KIMG0079.JPG
    KIMG0079.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 112
It's always the ones you look forward to breeding the most that gives you the hardest time. These two just wanted to cuddle.

Attachments

• KIMG0149.JPG
    KIMG0149.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 100
Good luck with them those are going to be some very nice offspring. I must ask what the gray and yellow morph is called, it is beautiful!

Thank you. He is a honey bloodred Miami. The honey is caramel and sunkissed combined.

I'm hoping for some nice Miami okeettees het caramel, sunkissed, bloodred to hold back for the start of a project with the end goal to look like a manderian rat snake.

Next year he is getting paired with a honey with similar genes, a caramel Miami with similar genes, and a honey tessera if she hits a growth spurt. Honey Miami tessera will probably be pretty cool looking.

Beautiful snakes...The first lock is always the most exiciting lol. Those are the first few I owned. The amel gene is a good one to have. Try to lightly spray them with some mist...it helps with the pheromones in the air

I'm still learning and pretty sure I know the answer to this but will two females ever attempt to lock? I've heard of two males attempting to before.

Also will a female ever twitch, mount, or tail flag another?

The okeettee posted above was sold to me as a female. I probed it as a deep female or a very shallow male. I've tried multiple males with it and got no action. Just for kicks I tried the amel female that already laid a clutch. The okeettee didn't waste much time before attempting to court her.

The behavior of the okeetee seems to be indicating it's a boy. :headbang:

Attachments

• KIMG0247.JPG
    KIMG0247.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 65
Hah, welcome to the club. I had a beautiful "female" Diffused Topaz het Lavender I was planning to breed to my male Strawberry Plasma het Lava Butter. As the girls were beginning to shed I noticed the Topaz's tail looked a bit...thick. Tossed my female SK in the tub and HE wasted no time courting her.

So what do you do in that situation? Sell off a male, find something else to pair it with, buy more females to pair them to, ditch the whole project...etc?

Thankfully for me I have a female or two that is similar to the original male honey bloodred Miami. The planned project can still continue but will take another year to get the girls up to size. So I'm only loosing out on time and a clutch form this year and the planned clutch from next year.

When I start a morph project I keep duplicates on hand just in case a problem turns up later. I can always sell those corns excess to my needs much easier than trying to find or buy one at the last minute.

So what do you do in that situation? Sell off a male, find something else to pair it with, buy more females to pair them to, ditch the whole project...etc?

Thankfully for me I have a female or two that is similar to the original male honey bloodred Miami. The planned project can still continue but will take another year to get the girls up to size. So I'm only loosing out on time and a clutch form this year and the planned clutch from next year.

In my case I wound up selling him. I regretted that this year. :shrugs: Extra males can be handy, especially if they're nice looking.

That's very exciting!! So what ages should corns be before a breeding attempt? Just curious..no plans to breed for me.

That's very exciting!! So what ages should corns be before a breeding attempt? Just curious..no plans to breed for me.

I have at least three 2017 males that went into breeding mode this year so that makes them just under two years old. My females are waiting another year then I will judge their body condition before attempting to breed . I also have a female that is over 3yo right now but was starved the first few years of her life so her body size and weight is only on par with my other 17's. I may never breed her as it may take to much of a toll on her body.

On a whim I tossed one of my virgin females in with a virgin male. I checked back with them 10 minutes later and they were already locked up. I guess she will be making several more conjugal visits in the near future. Pairing was a caramel, sunkissed, bloodred, Miami 66% ph amel 50% ph cinder X Caramel Miami 66% ph Sunkissed Amel Cinder Bloodred.

Attachments

• KIMG0375.JPG
    KIMG0375.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 34
Back