CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Mouse sizes

Old 02-20-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
TrpnBils
Mouse sizes

Alright, I officially give up....lol.

How do mouse sizes relate to each other? I know 3 pinkies = 1 fuzzy, but other than that, are there similar comparisons for other ages? I'm not even sure what the different sizes are (in order anyway)

pinky - fuzzy - hopper - adult?

Every time I think I have it figured out I read something else that doesn't quite fit with what I thought I knew. All I know for sure is that Mojo is on 1 hopper per week right now.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
larryg
There are small pinkies and big pinkies. Fuzzies vary the most in size, with the smallest fuzzies being smaller than the largest pinkies, to large fuzzies, which are almost as big as hoppers (nearly adult size.) Don't go just by the name. Try to look at what you are buying, if buying from a store where you can pick and choose. Or just ask for big pinkies or small fuzzies or whatever. Hopper are basically very young adults, then you go up in size from there to small, medium, and large mice. I missed that you got a snake. What did you end up getting?

Old 02-20-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
TrpnBils
Yeah I got him this morning actually. There's a picture on this thread here http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...155#post129155 . It's about the only picture I could get because he hasn't moved much since he went into his viv, and I want to give him a few days before I get him out to take pictures.

Anyway, he's a 2 year old male normal (het amel). As far as I can tell, he's about 30" or so. But since he's that old, he was really calm when I picked him up at the show, I was impressed. The guy said that the snake eats well and he'll actually eat from your hand, so I'm not worried about that.

that reminds me, I did have another question. How do the adult lengths of corns usually compare to their parents? The parents of this one were 4 feet and 5 feet long.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:15 PM   #4
larryg
He looks at home in his cage. He might be able to eat a small adult mouse at that size, depending on how much of a lump a hopper leaves. If not now, then probably in the next few months or so. There's no reason you can't feed slightly more than once a week, like every 5 or 6 days (depending on what you want to do.) It sounds like he'll get bigger if his parents were bigger. My Okeetee is about the same size at 30". His breeder/seller was only feeding him once per week. He seems to have grown a lot in the past few months, since I've been feeding him every 5 to 7 days (slightly more often.) It took him a while to adapt to his new home here, but now he comes out and cruises around and isn't even afraid of the dogs. He likes to watch tv. I've noticed my larger Miami likes to watch tv, too. The hatchling Miami still mostly hides, but he's starting coming out a little more. I think it's just that they like the colors and flashing lights, as far as snakes watching tv. My Okeetee hid most of the time for at least the first few weeks, so don't expect too much too fast. I'm sure you've heard it a thousand times here, but it's better not to handle a new snake much for the first few days, just so he'll feel secure in his new home. When you see how readily he eats, then you'll have an idea of how stressed he is. If you want to feed him live, you could probably get two very large fuzzies instead of one hopper, since the hopper could bite him but the fuzzies can't. (but there's no real reason not to feed f/t if he'll eat that.)

Old 02-20-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
TrpnBils
Yeah I seem to remember reading that (everywhere) a few places before about not handling right away...lol. I meant more of when I was holding him at the show when I bought him. You know, just doing the basic overlook, checking for any obvious problems or mites, etc. I'm sure it's probably not as necessary to do from a reputable breeder, but I've read so much about how important that is that I figured I better just to be safe.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:33 PM   #6
Joejr14
Jeff-

Feed him large fuzzies for the first few feedings just until he gets used to his new home.

He's plenty big enough to be eating a small-medium adult mouse, but you just dont want to stress him out by offering him a big meal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google