CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Milksnake sizes?

Old 08-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #1
Plissken
Milksnake sizes?

Hi everyone... I've been looking in to the respective sizes of these snakes, but most of my sources do not agree... was hoping to get some confirmation from people who know these animals firsthand. I'm looking for a milksnake which gets between 3-5 foot (in general.) I am interested specfically in Honduran and Mexican milks... what sort of size do they grow to?

I'm not meaning to sound lazy here... believe me, I have googled this countless times... care sheets galore, but not much about sizes. Maybe I'm just bad at finding information.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
DaemoNox
I think most of the commonly available ones get inbetween those sizes; although some stay at the smaller end while others average bigger. I'm not sure about Mexicans, but Hondurans are one of the larger species usually getting around 4-5 feet. My adult male is 4.5 feet long.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
Plissken
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemoNox
I think most of the commonly available ones get inbetween those sizes; although some stay at the smaller end while others average bigger. I'm not sure about Mexicans, but Hondurans are one of the larger species usually getting around 4-5 feet. My adult male is 4.5 feet long.
Thanks! I am very interested in a Honduran. Most of the milks I read up about seemed to be quite small and I was looking for something more corn-sized, so this sounds like a good species for me.

Most of the caresheets I read were very similar to the sheets I read when I was researching corns... I am thinking that I can keep a Honduran milk much the same as I keep my corn? Is this correct?

Old 08-15-2006, 11:45 AM   #4
DaemoNox
Hondurans average a bit bigger then corns, in length and girthier bodies. I keep mine pretty much exactly the same as corns, but a little warmer hot side and a little less humidity except during sheds. I should get new pictures of mine, havent in a long time.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #5
Plissken
Thanks again! So long as these snakes don't usually reach above 5/6 foot, that is fine. I think I will pick myself up a nice Honduran milk before Christmas.

Thanks for the helpful responses! If you have any other info, please feel free to post them here or send me a PM. I will be researching a little more before I actually make a purchase.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
mbdorfer
Well, if you want one that is between 3-5', I'd go with the Honduran. Mexican's rarely reach the 3' mark and a 30" snake would be considered a large Mexican Milk. On the other hand, Mexican's are a great first milk snake, and are generally a bit more calm than some of the others.
Here's a few pics of mine. He's an 03 and weighs 183 grams. I would guess he's a tad over 2 feet and "puppy dog" tame. Here's Cheech

Old 08-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
lefty_mussolini
Might want to browse around this one. There's a lot of good info. here
http://www.kingsnake.com/king/ssp.html

Old 08-16-2006, 02:19 AM   #8
Plissken
Wow, Cheech is BEAUTIFUL. Thank you for sharing those photos!

And thanks for the link lefty_mussolini, I will take a look around that site.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google