CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

melamine - nail gun or screws?

Old 06-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Chromatic Corns
melamine - nail gun or screws?

Okay, couple questions
If you used melamine shelving to make your snake rack, did you use nails (nail gun) or screws?
Also, how did you lay your flexwatt? did you just lay it on rack and staple gun it along the plastic sides of the tape, use aluminum tape OR if you made a recess for the heat tape to sit in, how did you do it?
Thanks

Old 06-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwallaby View Post
Okay, couple questions
If you used melamine shelving to make your snake rack, did you use nails (nail gun) or screws?
Also, how did you lay your flexwatt? did you just lay it on rack and staple gun it along the plastic sides of the tape, use aluminum tape OR if you made a recess for the heat tape to sit in, how did you do it?
Thanks
I haven't used melamine ( I used 3/4" finish plywood and painted it and water base finish) but i would predrill and glue and screw it than nailing it.
Also, I recess the flexwatt and cover it with pleixglass, silicone it in of course.

You can build it any way you want keeping in mind the safety of the snake and ease of cleaning.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
El Jefe
I use screws for the melamine.

Many years ago I used flexwatt but changed to heat cable which I recessed 1/4 inch into the rack bottom.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
crackerhead
Screws with pre-drilled holes. Nails don't hold as well and face nailing without pre-drilling would be a disaster. I also recommend sealing all the cut surfaces with a waterproofing paint before joining to avoid water damage.
I too like heat cable recessed in the shelf surface. I went one step further by adding a recessed flashing overlay to the groove in order to disperse the heat better and casters. Melamine is very heavy.

Terri

Old 06-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
bloutitt
As a carpenter if we use melamine (which we do lots) to make shelves we actually use a crown stapler but a pin nailer works too!

Screws are a no-no

Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
antsterr
Screws are annoying because you need to pre drill. I used a pneumatic bradnailer with one inch nails. This was a hatchling rack though so it didn't have to be designed for much weight. If you have air tools,you'll save time and a major head ache.

For the flexwatt, I used a stapler. I never even considered tape though, I'd worry that it would start to peel eventually.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloutitt View Post
As a carpenter if we use melamine (which we do lots) to make shelves we actually use a crown stapler but a pin nailer works too!

Screws are a no-no
For 3/4 inch melamine?

Do you use a dado or rabbet?

Old 06-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
bloutitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
For 3/4 inch melamine?

Do you use a dado or rabbet?
Rabbet and yes for 3/4 melamine I would use 1 1/2

Old 06-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloutitt View Post
Rabbet and yes for 3/4 melamine I would use 1 1/2
Ahhh...that makes a whole lot more sense. For the average cage builder, however, I doubt they are making rabbets or other semi-advanced construction.

Based on that, if one wasn't going to use a rabbet or dado I would highly recommend pre-drilling and screws over nail gun.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google