CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Question For People Who Have Kept Quail Befoe

Old 04-02-2004, 07:37 AM   #1
Spitfire
Question For People Who Have Kept Quail Befoe

You know how they tell you to feed the quial chicks starter mash. Well, I was looking for the stuf ffor a long time last night and couldn't find too many nearby feed stores. Does anyone have there own recipes? (I'm ecpecting to have only 4 quail so I don't need the huge oversize recipes.)

Old 04-03-2004, 01:30 AM   #2
Taceas
You live in Texas and can't find a feed store? Now there's irony. =P

Go to any farm store... Rural King, Big R, Tractor Supply, etc...they usually carry chicken feed. Just tell them that you're looking for chick starter feed and they should be able to help you out.

Do you have a Co-op feed store type of thing? Call any listing in the phone book under livestock and see if they can help. I know our local Co-op will let you buy chick starter in smaller containers by the pound rather than buying a whole 50lb bag.

Why not save the trouble and order quail chicks from Rodentpro.com?

Hope that helps some.

Old 04-03-2004, 08:53 AM   #3
Spitfire
Lol. That first sentence is hilarious. It's not that I can't find any feed stores, I just can't get to them. Transportation is an issue here. The chicks are supposed to hatch Wednsday and the person who's dricing me there isn't familiar with the area. Do you have the addresses or numbers, websites for those farm stores? Yes, I checked the yellow pages under feed but not livestock. There are tons of ranches/farms around here. Heck, there's one at the end of my street. Co-op? Does that mean asking them for some feed? And also, I'm raising the quail as pets for now, frozen wouldn't do me any good. Lol, I net you everyone was thinking I was gonna feed them. I must've gone crazt to go through all that trouble just to get 4 quail to feed.

Old 04-05-2004, 12:09 AM   #4
Taceas
Well feed is usually one of the things I have first before I even get a new animal. But that's me.

Have you tried calling a local vet and asking them if they could order some perhaps and you pick it up? Explain your situation to them.

Or ask around on here, surely there's got to be people in the Dallas area on here who can get you to some chick feed. I'd ship you some as I have some on-hand for my roaches. But it'd cost me a bundle to ship it to TX.

You can feed other things, but chick starter is best. It has the protein, minerals, vitamins that baby birds need to thrive. Plus is small enough in size to easily be eaten. You have the eggs now, so you can see how tiny these little babies are going to be.

How are you planning to keep them while they're growing? We used to put our chicks (of all breeds) in a paper box, like you get Xerox paper in with a screen lid. We'd let a 60 watt lightbulb hang in the box just out of reach of the chicks. They'd curl up under that and sleep. They like the box around 80-90 degrees.

The only other thing I can say is to maybe call your local 4H and ask them for help. Maybe they have some guides for baby chicks care and can direct you to places to get feed.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-05-2004, 07:58 AM   #5
Spitfire
I found this place in The Colony that sells feed and I'm gonna go see if I can get a smaller bag today. I'm gonna keep'em in a box too. The manual said that I could turn the incubator upside down and use it as a brooder because it's one of those lamp operated ones.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google