CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Got a Kingsnake today!!!

Old 04-04-2004, 11:42 PM   #11
nica_chick412
my new king...

Here is a pic of my new king. Having some trouble with her. She is nothing like my corn Ruby. Ruby is so laid back and cool. The King ( we call him Predator) is just a totally different temperment all together.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:05 AM   #12
MariaOrrom
Wow thats some snake!

He looks gorgeous, great name too. What problems are you having with him? I am only used to Corns and my new king is completely different to my Corn. Are they ok to feed and all that. I haven't tried that yet, giving her a little space since I only got her on Saturday.
Whats your new fella like and any advice?
Maria

Old 04-05-2004, 03:20 AM   #13
nica_chick412
Talking farting snake/feeding snake

maria,
One person told me that once my King got bigger, it would eat my Corn! I guess that they eat other snakes. The problem with mine is that she hasn't tamed down any since I brought her home. I have searched this whole chat forum on how to introduce new pets to their new homes, how to "tame" them. And I have followed their advice strictly. However mine keeps farting/scenting me. And it is just down right nasty! My sister came by after Predator scented me and asked me.... "Nica, did you just **** your pants?" It smells horrid. I was very surprised. I think that once she gets used to her surroundings you could try to feed her a pinkie or two. You might want to inquire with others though... I am not at all an expert. Your king is absolutely beautiful. Keep me posted on how he is doing.

Nica

Old 04-05-2004, 03:51 AM   #14
CornCrazy
Ummm, I don't think it is a lavender...
My albino was colored just like yours when he was a baby. He is still pink, but has lost most of the "lavender look." Here is a picture of him:

Here is a link to a picture of a lavender cal king:
http://www.renegadereptiles.com/lavender1.htm

Old 04-05-2004, 06:09 AM   #15
DAND
Re: farting snake/feeding snake

Quote:
Originally posted by nica_chick412
maria,
One person told me that once my King got bigger, it would eat my Corn! I guess that they eat other snakes. The problem with mine is that she hasn't tamed down any since I brought her home. I have searched this whole chat forum on how to introduce new pets to their new homes, how to "tame" them. And I have followed their advice strictly. However mine keeps farting/scenting me. And it is just down right nasty! My sister came by after Predator scented me and asked me.... "Nica, did you just **** your pants?" It smells horrid. I was very surprised. I think that once she gets used to her surroundings you could try to feed her a pinkie or two. You might want to inquire with others though... I am not at all an expert. Your king is absolutely beautiful. Keep me posted on how he is doing.

Nica
King snakes do that a lot. With work (and smelly hands) they will get better.

ALSO, NEVER HOUSE A CORN AND A KING (or two Kings for that matter). Even as babies a king will try to eat other snakes.

Old 04-08-2004, 04:39 PM   #16
MariaOrrom
That looks like my girl

Yup Terri that looks like my girl, just the markings are different. Hers are more zebra. Shes doing well, just ate the other day so I am very pleased about that. Do Kings grow as big as corns?
So what I have is likely an Albino then is it.
Ta.
Maria

Old 04-08-2004, 04:45 PM   #17
MariaOrrom
I know what you mean!

Thanks Nica,
I know what you mean about yuck!! I have a corn that likes to poo on me but has been quite well behaved lately which is great. Maybe hes growing out of it.
The first time I took my kingsnake out of her box to put her in her new viv she pooed on me! So I was well and truly introduced to her......... some hand shake!! She looked like she was going to do it tonight when I took her would to have a play as well but stopped! She is really different to my corn but so far hasn't bitten or had a strike at me. I feed her in a seperate feed box so that she doesn't think I am going to feed her each time I put my hand in the viv. I hope it works anyway. She ate well this week. Keep me posted on your guy, wow that sounds weird, never had one fart on my before!!!!!
Maria

Old 04-08-2004, 07:43 PM   #18
MegF.
I think Stephen that posts here had Kings at one time, but gave them up because they were too much trouble. They definitely eat other snakes, and they can't be together even for a moment. He said his corns reacted to the scent of the Kings as well, and it stressed them out. He finally just stuck with corns. The only snake that ever bit me was a king....

Old 04-08-2004, 08:59 PM   #19
CornCrazy
On the other hand, my kings are great. The male used to rattle his tail on occasion, but doesn't now. I don't find that they are any more difficult than corns. I keep mine in the same room with my corns, and it has never been a problem.

Old 04-08-2004, 09:17 PM   #20
Chip
Post Hail to the kings

Yep, kings are a slighly different breed when accustomed to corn behavior. But I must say there are as many types of Lampropetltis as Pantherophis, with just as many differently tempered species. For example, Texas rats are little bastards. I've seen one tame one out of scores I've dealt with. They are the same genus as corns. Likewise, black rats and some yellows are high strung, whereas corns and trans-pecos are often almost docile when caught in the wild. Many milks are flighty but never bite, the big Costa Rican black milks are usually dog tame. But one thing all the kings have in common is a love for food! Some will give you a "test bite" just to see if you are edible! Here's a 2003 gray band king, who couldn't eat his 5 pinkies one at a time!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google