CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Nyx is a swimmer?

Old 06-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
legitimatehypnotist
Nyx is a swimmer?

I'm wondering if it's alright that my snake is swimming underwater? I mean, she seems to be having fun. A lot of fun. I laugh just looking at her lately. It's only a few inches deep, it's easy for her to get in and out and to hold her head above water. I've had her for about a week and some change. All of a sudden, she's a champion swimmer. She's an adventurous snake, sure, but I don't know if it's okay for them to swim underwater. She just shed yesterday, too, (revealing the most perfect motley pattern EVER, btw.) so that might be relevant.
Is it normal or does this mean something?

Old 06-02-2011, 05:12 AM   #2
BigByrd47119
I cant say much other than this; most members here that have experience with bathing corns would suggest the water be only as deep as midway (or so) up the sides of the snake. In other words, a inch (or two) of water will suit most corns just fine.

Because of this I cannot speculate as to any health concerns with a corn actually fully submerging itself in water. This leads me to error on the side of caution however, in which case I would advise against it. A snake could presumably drown if something went terribly wrong. For me its simply a unnecessary risk.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along shortly to give a more accurate portrayal of what ever information they may posses.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
toxiclight
There's nothing abnormal about snakes enjoying water. Some do, some don't. Our adult male likes getting in his water bowl (and will submerge his head at times...it's very cute seeing the little bubbles escape his nose). I don't notice him being more in the water when he's coming up to a shed...he loves it all the time. Our adult female will run herself through her water at times, but she's not nearly as enthusiastic about it as he is.

Our little ones aren't quite as much water enthusiasts...our bloodred will play in her water a bit, generally after eating.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Nanci
Most baby snakes are housed with tiny water bowls and when they move away and get a big water bowl that they can get into, some are quite fascinated with that!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
bitsy
Just quickly double-check the temps. Mine aren't water lovers and will usually only sit in their bowls if the temps are too high in the summer.

Other than that - you probably just have a water baby!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Iflln2fntsy
My snake loves the water and has since the day I got her. I started her out with a small water bowl but she insisted on sitting in it despite being too big to fit. Now she has a medium size dog water bowl and loves it. She will sit in her bowl and stick her head out like the Loch Ness Monster and just looks at me...i am considering a name change since she does it so much

Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
WingedSweetheart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Most baby snakes are housed with tiny water bowls and when they move away and get a big water bowl that they can get into, some are quite fascinated with that!
When I got my first corn a couple years ago as a tiny worm she scared me. She was exploring her new home and when she got to the water bowl she went in and submerged completely and stayed in there for the longest time. She hasn't done it since though.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Nanci
This is a picture of Mango swimming in the Water Garden while Katie photographs Mingo. I'll let the big corns go completely under water in there- especially the light-colored ones that are easy to see. They love it!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
Nanci
And here are Colorado and Cherry taking a dip!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
legitimatehypnotist
Oh, yay. I'm relieved. I took an inch of water out, just to be safe and double checked the temps, everything was fine. I think you guys are right, she's just a water baby, haha. I can't believe how fast she is in the water! She's a pretty strong swimmer. I'm starting to really love her personality a lot, she comes right out to my voice, rocks back and forth subtly when I listen to music, and now, swims until she's tired. I've never given her a bath before, I wonder how she'll react now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
swimming