CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Weirdness that kinda freaked me out...

Old 06-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Water Phoenix
Weirdness that kinda freaked me out...

So I just got my first corn about a month ago: Phoenix, who is about 3 months old. I'm trying to be really careful with him/her and do everything right - I've read a couple of books, looked at stuff on the internet, talked to people who have raised and kept snakes, etc. Plus, my roommate works at PetSmart so I feel pretty safe.

I'm working on getting him socialized to me, taking him out every day (except for those 48 hours or so after meal times) and exercising him, talking to him through the glass when I don't hold him, etc. At first he was pretty twitchy and tried to get away from me; now he just bumps along and is pretty content in my hands.

So tonight we're doing our usual "get out and play" thing, and I'm talking to him, and we're both pretty chill. I looked away from him for a moment and when I looked back at him, his mouth was WIIIIIDE open. Now, he wasn't essed up or looking like he was going to strike, but it still freaked me out because the only time I've ever seen him open his mouth at all is to take a pinky. I quickly put him back in the tank, just in case. He seemed fine. I picked him back, and he seemed fine. He wasn't twitchy or anything.

He's scheduled to feed tomorrow, and I'm wondering if he was mistaking me for food? But I always feed him in a separate enclosure, with tongs. And in theory, I know that a baby corn's bite won't hurt terribly but I'd still rather not deal with it (wishful thinking?). I believe he's in the middle of a shedding/molting, because he was looking pretty drab and faded for a few days there and now his color has come back. Was he just stretching, maybe? I wanna KNOW...

Old 06-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Water Phoenix
Just wanted to edit - because it sounded so preposterous - my roommate actually works with the reptiles at PetSmart. She's not just a cashier or anything. She's not an expert by any means, but it helps to have her around.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
alan
How else is he going to know if you fit?
Nah, they stretch sometimes. This time I would suspect that it has something to do with shedding. If it happens continually, then I would wonder about a problem.
Meantime keep reading this forum and you'll probably be less stressed about things that happen with your snakes. It's a fantastic resource, almost everything has been covered before.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Christen
Yeah it sounds to me like he was just yawning or streching. I laugh every time I catch one of mine doing it.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Water Phoenix
@Alan - you seriously made me laugh at that one. How else is he supposed to know if I fit? Hil-AR-ious.

I'm gonna go with the stretching or yawning thing, then, and keep an eye out for it from now on. If it keeps happening on a regular basis then I'll see about getting him checked out.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
SquamishSerpents
yeah it's not uncommon for snakes to yawn like that, it's just not very common to catch them doing it!

i love it when i do catch them yawning though, so cute!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Ares2010
My baby, Ares, did that one time and straight afterwards he started pushing his nose on my arm or hand.. he was in blue at the time and it took me a few mins to figure out he was opening and closing his mouth and pushing his nose on me to loosen the skin so he could shed it. As soon as I figured that out, I placed him back in his viv and sure enough, less than half an hour when I checked on him, his shed skin was right there.....

Old 06-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
jessicalb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares2010 View Post
My baby, Ares, did that one time and straight afterwards he started pushing his nose on my arm or hand.. he was in blue at the time and it took me a few mins to figure out he was opening and closing his mouth and pushing his nose on me to loosen the skin so he could shed it. As soon as I figured that out, I placed him back in his viv and sure enough, less than half an hour when I checked on him, his shed skin was right there.....
Same exact experience here! The pushing his little face against my fingers to try to shed was so incredibly cute.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
WingedSweetheart
They do it when they are getting ready to shed. They do it after they eat (I've seen them do it before they eat too). Sometimes they do it for no apparent reason at all. I guess they just feel they need to stretch their jaws a bit sometimes.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:11 AM   #10
lumene
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedSweetheart View Post
They do it when they are getting ready to shed. They do it after they eat (I've seen them do it before they eat too). Sometimes they do it for no apparent reason at all. I guess they just feel they need to stretch their jaws a bit sometimes.
Lol. wouldn't that be... yawning?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google