CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Shedding

Old 06-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
Triple M
Smile Shedding

I just got my new baby snow and i have been reading about when to tell when its shedding but i was wondering if anyone had some pics you could post of a snow in pre shed? I have heard they get blue but im not sure what this would look like exactly. Thanks!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Solarian_13
I've got a blizzard and it's pretty tough to tell when he's in blue. As far as the scales on his head and body go I can see no difference, but his eyes will get noticeably opaque and lose their ruby luster. Sorry I don't have any pictures though. Your snake's behavior may give you clues as well. Toki becomes very sedentary when he's in blue. Appears not to move out from under his hide for days.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Triple M
Thanks Solarian. I had heard about the behavior changes but my snake is new and he is still very skittish and hides alot so i couldn't tell exactly. Thanks for the tips!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
jessicalb
My son says our snow looks "waxy" when he is in shed. I can't tell.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
angmont1882
Your snake may also refuse food while "blue". My Ghost refused food tonight and my Okeetee was totally blued over yesterday, so they get to skip until next Wednesday...my snakes also lose their shine right before they shed...

Old 06-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Triple M
Thanks everyone for the tips. I think i am well prepared for his first shed now.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
Cassie16
My snows eyes get cloudy, but I truly think being able to tell is a matter of how well your eye site is. I can definitely see it on the first day, while my boyfriend can't tell until the second day. There is clearly an opaqueness to his eyes. Next time he's in shed i'll try to post some pictures using my boyfriend's camera.

They look more pink than red. The first day they go cloudy, it's a very small change. The next day it's more obvious.

He also gets really lazy when it blue. They usually hide during the day anyway, but when he's in blue he'll stay in one spot almost the entire time, whereas when he's not in blue he'll alternate hides.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Triple M
Thanks that sounds like it will make it much easier when he does decide to shed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google