CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Hides using Foam/Greatstuff

Old 11-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
schnebbles
I could try that, or put wax paper on the bowl or hide that I want to imitate. I am not liking cutting the pink panther styrofoam. I almost need a jigsaw! Buy the time I buy all of that I could have bought hides! The styrofoam was $20 for a 4x8' sheet and the jigsaw was 22. But eventually I'll need more larger hides as my little ones grow, so maybe it would be worth the money for the jigsaw.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
Lyion
I recently bought a lightweight thing that looked like a rock. I think it was MCR Rocks. It's a good brand, but I can't quite remember the name.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
schnebbles
I'll see if I can find those, thanks Lyion! I love your sig

Old 11-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
Lyion
No prob and thanks ;3

Sorry I can't really find the name. I'll Pm you as soon as I find the name!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #15
schnebbles
I found MCR Rock designs on facebook but it doesn't look like they sell anything. I can get large hides from Petco online for $20.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #16
schnebbles
Ok, this is what I did today, I took the hide in the pic, put wax paper on it and sprayed it with the Great Stuff. It's much bigger outside but it would be about the same inside. I have painted the Great Stuff hide 2x with white, then I plan to paint color on it.

Better top view

Inside - the wax paper peeled off easily.

Will this be safe for the snakes? I will let it sit out for a week or so before I'd put it in. Should I paint the inside with white at least? Then I have a sealer that I used on my clay hides. This was very easy, it's kind of big, but I now now that I can make larger hides with these and just use current hides for the right size.

any ideas or suggestions? Now my problem is the tube that came with the great stuff is all clogged...gotta figure out how to get it unclogged so I can use it.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:05 AM   #17
schnebbles
Just updating - I'm finally getting this one painted and I think it's going to be super cool looking, easy and cheap! I can make a hide of any size, shape or form! I have painted it with white spray paint a few times and am adding the color to it. I think spraying these with that neat sand paint might be a better idea, but the acrylic is what I had so I'm using it for now.

I'll post updates when it's painted and dry. I really think I'm going to like it.

Finished! I am going to get more greatstuff and make more. This one is outside airing out right now. These were way easier than the clay. I broke another clay one today putting wax paper over it to make a mold for a greatstuff one. These won't break!

Top view

I guess the gaps in back at the floor will be fine on the aspen

Underside

Old 12-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
albinodino
omg is that that foam stuff that you put to insulate windows?Great hide though going to make a few for my self.....
Just an idea for anyone else doing it if you dont want to ruin you hide use like a small old bowl....the cut a hole in it...

Jason(albinodino)

Old 12-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #19
schnebbles
I didn't ruin my hide at all - I put wax paper over it before I sprayed the foam. It was so easy.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #20
albinodino
re:

cool thinking about doing that.....
Jason(albinodino)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google